Room Circulation Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
Hello,
I was needing a fan to circulate the air to try to move heat out of my main room into the rest of the house. Does anybody have a fan they really like? I would like the impossible, no noise, moves lots of air and doesn't cost anything to run! But seriously, I would like it to be fairly quiet. On a side note, does anyone use those heat powered fans that sit on the stovetop? That would only be supplemental, I need a real fan for the house circulation.

I use a cheap desk top fan to move the air in the home . . . a cheap fan found in pretty much any department store or hardware store. I don't even recall the brand. Placed in the doorway adjacent to the room with the stove and blowing the air towards the woodstove . . . set on the lowest setting. Seems to work well enough. It's not completely quiet or free to run . . . but it's quiet enough and cheap enough for me.

Reactions: Dix
Try the small fan on low in different locations, always on the floor, blowing the cool, dense air back toward the stove room. This should enhance the natural convection out of the stove room.

We have a number of small fans that really help move air in our less-than-ideal heating setup. We heat with an insert in our large walkout basement (and we bought the insert just for that area). We've since moved to using it as our primary heater, but as our main floor is a large ranch the bedrooms can be chilly if we don't boost air circulation.

We bought Imperial doorway fans but don't fasten them up high. Most help comes from putting one in the doorway of a back bedroom and letting it run for an hour before bedtime. It will raise the temperature about 4 degrees in that time. We do have others that we actually use when we need to boost heat up the stairs or into another part of the basement. The method of blowing cold air toward the heat works great. We've been happy with them because they are very, very quiet, but they move 100 cfm.

They aren't completely silent and do draw some power, but it's definitely very low.

You can get them cheaper, but here's an Amazon link to show you what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCUBNVA/?tag=hearthamazon-20

We just use a ceiling fan. Run it all day on cold days. Very quiet. And most ceiling fans come with a switch to move the air differently in the summer and winter. Movement of air using a ceiling fan is "adequate", but not great, to rooms adjacent to the stove. But overall I am okay with that setup. More distant rooms may need auxiliary fans such as the doorway fan already suggested.

Also see:

http://woodheat.org/moving-heat-around-the-house.html

You don't need mega power to move air to increase heat out put.

As Jake & Woody have stated, a small fan placed on the floor, pushing the colder air towards the stove area will start a convection loop moving the warm air through the house. Heat rises, cold air sinks applies here. *caveat - some layouts can be tricky, but most will see a marked improvement*

If you'd like, a rough drawn floor plan will help us help you with fan placement.

We have a basic 3 speed 12" table fan that is silent on low speed. Place it on the floor blowing air from the cooler space directly into the stove room.

Hello everyone. I have also used fans on the floor. Works good. Would an inline duct can work taking cooler air from the floor of a far bedroom and piping to the stove room? I have a ranch style home with partial finished basement. So stove is at one end of the house and bedrooms at the other.

Hello everyone. I have also used fans on the floor. Works good. Would an inline duct can work taking cooler air from the floor of a far bedroom and piping to the stove room? I have a ranch style home with partial finished basement. So stove is at one end of the house and bedrooms at the other.
"Fan"

Yes, that can work out well with a proper inline blower and insulated ducts.

If I'm just trying to move cold air back to the stove room does the duct have to be insulated?

Depends on the basement temp. The less heat loss the better. Flex insulated duct works well and is easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.