room temp manual/stove temp auto

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Can someone tell me the difference [ Or the Advantage if any ] between the 2 settings above?
I understand the difference in how heat output each is obtained via room probe or Stove ESP.
My question derives from the fact that I do not see or feel any difference on either setting.
Room temp/70 Stove temp#4.same spots on the dial.
house stays the same temp and of course with both setting, stove will not shut down.
Is it more a preference? Is pellet consumption [supposed to be] different on 1 or the other?

Last edited:
Stove temp - stove runs at the output selected. Doesn't matter if it is 0 or 90 out. Stove will never turn off.

Room temp - stove runs up to and maintains the desired temp. Stove will ramp up or down and even turn off.

Yea, read the harman sticky.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Stove temp - stove runs at the output selected. Doesn't matter if it is 0 or 90 out. Stove will never turn off.

Room temp - stove runs up to and maintains the desired temp. Stove will ramp up or down and even turn off.

Yea, read the harman sticky.
room temp manual doesn't turn off.. same as stove temp auto....that'why I asked about differences [should have said Advantage] if living space temperature stays the same on either setting.

room temp manual doesn't turn off.. same as stove temp auto....that'why I asked about differences [should have said Advantage] if living space temperature stays the same on either setting.

I would say that if the temperature in the living space is the same on either setting, you've answered your own question...there is no difference! For me, I find that the room temperature setting throws off more heat, so that's what I roll with. Once ignited, the igniter is switched to manual, and that's about it. I leave the temperature dial between 70 and 75 degrees and let the stove do its thing.

I would say that if the temperature in the living space is the same on either setting, you've answered your own question...there is no difference! For me, I find that the room temperature setting throws off more heat, so that's what I roll with. Once ignited, the igniter is switched to manual, and that's about it. I leave the temperature dial between 70 and 75 degrees and let the stove do its thing.
That is exactly how I run mine.
just started useing stove temp to see if any difference in heat or pellet consumption and so far, Notta.. I do admit though that when we get into single digits over nite here North Of Phila, I will shut down and run my oil furnace [hot water baseboard] from around midnight to 5am just to keep the pipes hot.. all my piping is in a un-insulated basement. I save a hell of lot on oil so sacrificing a few gallons now/then is fine by me..[last oil fill was September 1st last year..275 gal tank 100 gallons left..oil is for DHW also.

can I ask how much your pellet consumption is daily?

Last edited:
That's what I do too. In my house there are a couple of difference that take place between stove and room temp. In this colder weather I would have to dial up the temp myself in stove temp for one thing. In room temp pretty much I leave the setting at about 76 for any temp outside from 30 deg on down. Additionally in room temp my stove will downramp to a maintenance burn where in stove temp it would run to satisfy a stack temp. On stove temp auto my stove has never quite made to being extinguished before it has to ramp back up. It will in the shoulder season though.

All that said, my house daytime and night time swings end up more evenly heated in room temp I feel.

can I ask how much your pellet consumption is daily?

My average so far is two bags per day, depending on the pellets themselves and what actually is going on outdoors. That is close to 3 bags on the coldest and windy days with not so great pellets and 1.5 bags on the warmer days like all last weekend was. last weekend my stove ramped up at night, starting about 3:30 in the afternoon but mid day it was pretty much down on the maintenance burn with a small ramp up now and then. Once we hit the real shoulder season I'm going to put it in room temp auto.

Today never went over 22 deg, it started out at 7deg and we have had a stiff breeze all day out of the west. I came home to a pretty low hopper and I haven't filled it yet. I had lousy Natures Own in there, it chews those like a kid with candy on Halloween. So I'm running it real low and will fill it later with some LGs that burn real nice in it, hot low ash. Last night I had the very last of my LaCretes in it and it ramped up and and down all night, nice !

I run the stove 24/7, on the coldest day so far I have not used more than 3 bags but it wasn't in yet when we had the - numbers here. The lowest it has been run at was +2 over night, the dining room when I got up was 74, don't remember if that was LaCrete or DF pellets... My house is a not so tight 1800 sq ft cape ( it's insulated in the walls for part of it with the old bag stuff that looks almost like sawdust or something, fit very loose. Other parts blown in, the attic is both the old bags and 12 " on top of that blown in. The floors not insulated and it needs it, loose sills in the basement. The south facing kitchen wall is the worst, air comes in there under the baseboard because when they put in the cabinets they punched a whole in our sheet rock and didn't plug it. But I think I'm going to have that whole wall blown in for next year.

Last edited:
Being the OP:
I have read the Harman Sticky many many times and it is great info but, as in anything, one size doesn't fit all.
what type of dwelling does all that work best?
Un-insulated or very tight? straight ahead floor plans or divided rooms? high ceilings low ceilings?
OAK or no OAK? not asking questions just making statements.
Point is that there are always those that go against the grain and get better results the're customized way..
it's nice to hear some fresh input from Harman "P" owners now and then..
I truly believe now in these laws of my Harman P61A stove.:

Room temp/Manual thru -out cold steady winter then auto during the shoulder season.
Keep thy stove clean at least every 7-10 days and the Stove will be happy and keep you warm. [laying on hard floor to remove the rear cover to inspect and clean the fines box included].
keep the feed rate at the same setting unless you have very small pellets in which backing off a bit will burn the 40lb bag a bit slower if your an economizer.
Buy your pellet tons in the spring or summer for good price and won't have hidden layers of Ice between bags on skids that we're stored outside
during a Polar Vortex...[thank you Home Depot..]

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
2 bags a day to keep her going

Status
Not open for further replies.