Room to Room OR Doorway Fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
In trying to find ways to make my house more comfortable I'm looking at some fans to move the heat from my main room where my wood stove is. There are two options I found that seem practical. The EntreeAir Door Frame Fan and the Electric Doorway Fan seem like the two most common one. Has anybody used either one of these and have an opinion?

mdwyi3iTmvT9vuvfxD_mkuQ.jpg 364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this one?
Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 10.29.33 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been mentioned here many times before, but many of us have better luck moving the cooler denser air near the floor towards the stove/stove room which displaces the warm air out to the rest of the home. I never would have believed it until I took the advice and tried it for myself. Just an idea to try because I know those little fans are spendy.

I've tried using various fan methods including ceiling fans. I've found that just letting the stove do its work, works best.

+1 on moving cool air towards the stove room.
We also own an entree air fan that I ended up installing as a through the wall fan to vacate heat from a corner it gets "trapped" in, works well but noisy and not the highest quality.

Reactions: chance04
My ceiling fan moves my heat very well

I do have a ceiling fan along with a small floor fan that sits along side of the stove with an ECO fan on the stove. My thought is if I push or pull the heat to the other rooms instead of the heat escaping into the other rooms the house as a whole will be warmer and then I could run the stove a little colder.

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
My thought is if I push or pull the heat to the other rooms instead of the heat escaping into the other rooms the house as a whole will be warmer and then I could run the stove a little colder.

It does not make a difference in your energy usage how you get the heat to the other rooms. The stove puts out the same BTU regardless. You want to level out the temps between rooms and for that pushing cold air towards the stove room will work better.

I finally bought the more expensive, 5" x 5" Extra-quiet Circulator Fan by Imperail. They are the best. Very quiet and they move a lot of air. Don't waste your money on the cheap ones. Great little fans. I use them in the corner of my doorways. I hang them with command strips so I don't have to put holes in my trim work and I can take them down in the summer and put them back up in the fall.

Reactions: FireRod
If you were to install one of these fans near the ceiling and pointed at the double wall chimney to outside insulated chimney connection would it cause any negative issues? There is a lot of heat at that point of our cathedral ceiling but I wonder if cooling the (by taking away heat) exhaust from the stove pipe would cause issues inside the chimney? Cool exhaust more build up?

I really don't know so I thought I would ask.

Before you make any decisions, get a cheap 15" box fan (about $12 at Walmart) and set it on the floor, blowing the cold air into the room with the stove. You'll be amazed how much it helps warm up the other rooms. Then you can compare putting fans at the top of the door...I'll bet money you'll be very disappointed in their performance, in comparison. If looks are more important, though, then top of the door it is...

Reactions: ColdNH
You want to level out the temps between rooms and for that pushing cold air towards the stove room will work better.

Are you saying take the cold air from the cold rooms and push it to the stove?

Yes. Place a small fan on the floor in the area you want the heat to travel to. Blow cold air along the floor towards the stove room. Warm air will travel along the ceiling to the fan's location to make up for the displaced cold air. I see the temperature rising in the room with the fan usually within 15 min and after 30 min the temps are close to being equal.

The reason why that works better is that cold air is more dense than warm air and easier to move.

Reactions: RopeS
I actually just bought two thru wall fans. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I5H22C/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_pre_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my living room is always so dang warm no matter summer or winter. My wood furnace is in the basement and is fed to the upstairs through ductwork. Living room is in middle of house and the 3 bedrooms branch off of it. The living room has a drop ceiling and 2x2 foot fluorescent lights which I believe contribute to the excess heat. I'm going to install these two fans and push the air into two of the bedrooms and if they work than I will purchase another and do the same for the 3rd bedroom.

As others have said . . . try the fan on the floor pushing the air towards the stove first. Much cheaper option . . . that works well.

I actually just bought two thru wall fans. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I5H22C/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_pre_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my living room is always so dang warm no matter summer or winter. My wood furnace is in the basement and is fed to the upstairs through ductwork. Living room is in middle of house and the 3 bedrooms branch off of it. The living room has a drop ceiling and 2x2 foot fluorescent lights which I believe contribute to the excess heat. I'm going to install these two fans and push the air into two of the bedrooms and if they work than I will purchase another and do the same for the 3rd bedroom.

Okay, here's a thought. When using a thru wall fan would you install it near the floor to exhaust the cold air from the the rooms to the stove room?

I guess this is a physics question. What is easier to move, cold air or warm air?

my master bedroom which used to be cold is now comfortable after i installed a ceiling fan in the adjacent/stove room. Getting that hot air off the ceiling really does the trick.

I guess this is a physics question. What is easier to move, cold air or warm air?
I think I found the answer to this. Cold air is denser which I guess by theory is harder to move. So by using a fan to move the cold air the warm air can be pushed easier. Makes sense now!

Now I have to figure how to manage not tripping over a small fan in the corner of a doorway. LOL

Reactions: davidmsem
I don't know the physics, but a fan blowing at a certain speed will move more dense air than thin air. By pushing dense air along the floor into a stove room, it displaces a lot of thin warm air, which flows back into the room from which the cold air came. If you think about the reverse, pushing a little thin, warm air at the ceiling into a cold room will have a hard time displacing the dense cold air. (Plus, I've tried both, and moving the cold air works better...)

Reactions: FireRod
WP_20150915_19_03_47_Pro.jpg

I installed my room to room fans tonight. Took me about an hour. I'll report back with how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.