Room vrs Stove Mode Repost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
thought it would be interesting to re-post this.......[for New Harman owners, "Constant Burn" is Stove Mode/]

I use room temp manual. I don't use Auto because...wait for it...its a P38 :) There's no doubt in my mind my houses heat loss is greater than my stove at idle, so there's no need for it to cycle. I couldn't care less about what temp the stove is at. My concern is the room temp.

I understand it works for some, ( but what happens on day one when it's 30 outside and to achieve 70 inside you use a stove temp of 3. Now, day two is 10 below. You gotta make a stove adjustment right? Even if you had a chart showing outside temps and their corresponding stove settings, there's still an element of guessing and a large variable in that the outside temp is generally always changing to one extent or another. In room mode, its simply based on interior temps, which is what we're all concerned with, right? Assuming you find a good spot for the temp probe, you're golden. If it's 0 outside, you're all set. If it's 30 outside but sunny and you have a lot of solar gain, you're all set.

As far as pellet usage goes, I find it more efficient. The only time I can see it being less efficient is heating a larger space with multi floors and a large distance between the stove and the areas requiring heat. If the temp differential is 10 degrees, you're likely gonna overheat the first floor before the return air from the second floor satisfies the room temp setting on the stove.

I've tried room mode and always have issues. Maybe in a small space I can see it working...idk. Not to jack the thread but I wouldn't mind hearing peoples logic behind why stove temp works for them.

Reactions: jackman
Some people like the steady output of Stove Temp mode. They have claimed here that they like that and knowing what the pellet consumption will be at a given setting. Some peoples houses also are a lot tighter than our older homes Tony and I guess they get a decent handle on the settings.

I like Stove Temp for when there is company in the living room because I have better control over fan noise and flame height. It's just a matter of a few hours and I switch it back to Room Temp. I also may use it again too with the lower oil prices to set a given output in really cold weather and let the oil take over here and there.. That works much the same as I used to burn my coal stove. I don't know which one supplements the other really !! But I do know that for very little oil use I can heat the out areas of the house and even things up in those cold snaps vs pushing a bunch of extra pellets through the stove.. It works well to help conserve both fuels a bit, neither system gets over worked.. Soo, for other than those things I use room Temp. I use Auto in some circumstances and Manual in others, which we have discussed before.

I use stove temp mode when it is really cold like in single digits are below. As it gets colder my gas furnace kicks in so my pipes don't freeze on one end of the house. Plus in the frigid weather it evens out the house better. This gives me piece of mind on the pipes plus not 20 degrees colder in parts of the house. Once the temp get back up I go back to room temp. I keep the room at 72 on the thermostat for the gas heat. It may cycle on for 15 minutes every hour in real cold weather. Before it would run 90% of the time and never shot off at temps below 0. It needs to be bigger if that is all I used. Working on better insulation but it is difficult with an 1880's home with 11 foot ceilings on 2 floors. Only wall insulation is 3 layers of brick on the perimeter. Every situation is different.

I have only had my Harman for a few weeks, but I find stove temp much better for when it is very cold out as the constant heat keeps the other end of the house warmer than the stove throttling up and down.

This is probably a result of my room temp probe being too close to the stove.

btw:
I Prob should have put the OP's name along with the re- post.
My probe is tied up behind the stove.. just barely peeking out at back top of the hopper lid...
Far enough away from the walls, OAK, and Exhaust pipes.
works better for me there than hanging next to un-insulated wall...
My problem with stove temp is adjusting it back/forth due to outside temp changes..
we get loads of Sun on our house with no trees in the way and I always seem to have to change where I had it set tempwise up or down all in the same day few times.
I keep it on room/manual and am able to leave it alone.. unless we go above 40 degrees then it's Room/Auto.

Our stove is on "Constant burn" it will remain at that setting until our house is better insulated. It works fine for us - for now.

My humble opinion based on my specific needs.

Our stove is on "Constant burn" it will remain at that setting until our house is better insulated. It works fine for us - for now.

Because of our 90 yr old "not well Insulated" house,,
Room/Manual is a Constant burn also in as much as the "cool down" is quicker than it should be.
either mode will be continuous burn for us but my pellet consumption seemed to be more in Stove Temp. Why? I have no Idea...my ESP probe is always cleaned..
so naturally, I run in room/manual.

in stove temperature is ESP control and the air outside is cooler and you have an oak for the same setting you consume more pellets

When I do run in stove mode as it gets colder and draws in the colder air it does ramp up more to compensate. Also in this old home I never lower the temp at night as I used to when only gas. It takes too long to get back up to temp. This stove can easily maintain temps and will not have to work as hard. A lot of volume. A few times I forgot to put pellets in and the house was at 65 my minimum gas thermostat setting in case something quit working. I then fire the stove back up and use the gas as well to quickly get back up to temp to help the stove. I know it would be difficult to 100% rely on pellets in this old home. When cleaning I set the gas heat to maintain. I would not have any issues if it never got below 20. I try and do cleanings by checking the forecast to see what day would be the warmest. I will say this Harman P68 and 43 that I have are work horses.

how many bags a day do you go through like this? my house is barely insulated and trying to heat 2500 square feet with a p68

Exciting ! Today is supposed to hit near 40 deg for a few hours. Yesterday morning was 1 deg F. As soon as it hit 20 I switched back to room mode and turned down the central heat ( around 11 am yesterday), the house is being heated in Room Mode presently. It turned from snow to rain overnight, now foggy at 35 deg. This week is up and down with temps. We have a 0 deg night coming, some mid 20's days, Thursday is mid 30's etc. I think our weather pattern here on the coast is starting to vacillate which would be typical for after the 15th of Feb... But we have a lot of snow to melt moving forward, several ft. !

Last edited:
I like to run stove temp because I can judge how many pellets I'm going to use. My house has 2 stories and my stove can in no way heat the whole house when temps are in the teens and below. I have NG furnace so I don't mind furnace running. I like to use the two heating systems in tangent to keep my house at a comfortable level. The pellet stove allows us to maintain a nice warm family room where we spend to majority of our time and NG keeps rest of exterior rooms comfortable. If we tried to heat whole house with just pellets family room would be unbearably hot and pellet usage would be pushing 4 bags a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.