Rope gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
Quick question how long do the rope gaskets around the door last?

I check my gaskets once a month with the paper pull method...no telling how long they can last...and I don't think there is a recommended change out time...just fit is what counts...

I haven't got a clue myself, but I think that there are many variables that have their say about it, like quality, shelf-life, humidity (off-season), etc.

Steve

Thanks for the replies, did the bill test, the sealed was worse in one area, and looked a little flat, pull it out in that area and the seal was better.

kast said:
could someone explain the paper pull method?

Take a dollar bill, and place it in various areas of the door between the seal and where it hits the stove, close and latch the door.

If you can easily pull the bill out, the seal isn't tight enough. If you have to pull with some force, or it won't budge at all, it's OK (well, if you can't move it at all w/o tearing the bill, it might be TOO tight)

Status
Not open for further replies.