Rope saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Has anyone heard of a rope type saw that can be thrown over a tree limb and then two people on either side can pull up and down, sawing through the limb?

Wow that was fast, thanks. Now just rigt to it use on a high limb.

Just 1-clicked that biotch. Now I just need a better sling shot to get a leader over the high limbs...

Is that a Stihl? ;lol

What about when you get almost through, then the branch barber-chairs on ya? <>

Any time you're cutting a limb, whether it's with this tool or another, you need to cut about a foot away from the crotch. Ideally, you do a bottom cut 1/4 - 1/3 of the way thru, followed by a top cut thru, at least two limb diameters away from the crotch. That way you get a clean cut, no splitting, on the final cut at the crotch.

With this, you kinda have to settle for skipping the initial bottom cut, but sometimes it's the only way to avoid climbing where one shouldn't climb.

I have an old-fashioned pole saw, and enough extensions for about 72 feet reach. However, I can't really lift / use it practically at any length beyond maybe 42 feet (6 foot increments). This chain saw will be handy for locations where the pole don't work.

i'm looking at this type of saw to get limbs down near the back of my property that are shading my wood racks. if i were dealing with an ornamental tree or a tree in a more conspicuous spot, i wouldn't use it.

not sure what barber-chairs means, but i guess you could start out further on the limb and work back.

Any time you're cutting a limb, whether it's with this tool or another, you need to cut about a foot away from the crotch. Ideally, you do a bottom cut 1/4 - 1/3 of the way thru, followed by a top cut thru, at least two limb diameters away from the crotch. That way you get a clean cut, no splitting, on the final cut at the crotch.
I generally make an undercut, then make a top cut about an inch or so further out to leave a hinge, if that's what you're describing. If I have a "crotch" with the branch more vertical, I might use a narrow, open-notch undercut...

With this, you kinda have to settle for skipping the initial bottom cut, but sometimes it's the only way to avoid climbing where one shouldn't climb.
Yeah, I was thinking it might be tough to cut the remaining splintered section off and get the limb to fall (picture trying to cut a 1" branch instead of a large, rounded limb.). You don't have a rigid cutting edge like you do with a pole saw. Maybe you could make the cut from a couple of different angles, not sure... All you can do is give it a go, and report back. ==c I might be tempted to try it on a Red Oak I've got that's leaning on a White Oak. I'll have to think about that some more, or I might not mess with it at all. It's not really hurting anything, but I would like it down, or at least to get some of the weight off the White.

I have an old-fashioned pole saw, and enough extensions for about 72 feet reach. However, I can't really lift / use it practically at any length beyond maybe 42 feet (6 foot increments). This chain saw will be handy for locations where the pole don't work.
Holey Carp, I thought 18' was getting unwieldy; What are you, a body builder?? :eek: ;lol

not sure what barber-chairs means, but i guess you could start out further on the limb and work back.
That might work.
upload_2014-6-20_14-12-3.jpeg

Reactions: Ashful
Holey Carp, I thought 18' was getting unwieldy; What are you, a body builder?? :eek: ;lol
nah, I'm a nerdy scientist who sits at a desk or in the lab 40 hours per week. I'll have to get a photo of this rig for you this weekend. It's pretty light, but even a 5 lb. saw blade at the end of a 40 foot pole does get a little unwieldy.

Wow, yeah, where does one go about finding a pole saw that long? I hardly ever see any in hardware stores that are more than 12 or 14 feet long. I have some branches on my (rented) property that the landlord refuses to trim.

Holy Cow!

I have an old-fashioned pole saw, and enough extensions for about 72 feet reach. However, I can't really lift / use it practically at any length beyond maybe 42 feet (6 foot increments).

Also comes with a stereo playing "Yakety Sax" in the background....

Reactions: Soundchasm
Hah... Was out in the barn this evening, but forgot to snap a photo. Will try to remember tomorrow.

Okay, guys, here's the old pole saw. I just got out two segments of 6' each, but there's a total of 8 of those in the one kit, and 6 more in another compatible kit. Also shown are the saw and lopper attachments. There's also a cast iron hook attachment, but it's squirreled away in the other kit.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Okay, guys, here's the old pole saw. I just got out two segments of 6' each, but there's a total of 8 of those in the one kit, and 6 more in another compatible kit. Also shown are the saw and lopper attachments. There's also a cast iron hook attachment, but it's squirreled away in the other kit.

View attachment 134541 View attachment 134548 View attachment 134549 View attachment 134550 View attachment 134551

Cool, do you have a photo of you using the saw at 42'?--- 72' would be even better, it'd be something us old folks could talk about around the camp fire!

Cool, do you have a photo of you using the saw at 42'?--- 72' would be even better, it'd be something us old folks could talk about around the camp fire!
I've used it at 30 feet many, many times (including yesterday). Maybe only once or twice at 42 feet. Never beyond that!

My hands are usually busy when I'm using it, so no photos of the rig in use!

I have a twenty foot pole saw and can't imagine how much energy would be lost through the rod whipping over that height. But it does the job at twenty feet.

Yeah... tons of "sag" in the pole, at those lengths. However, given the curved shape of that saw blade, it actually works to my advantage most of the time. Pushing/pulling on the pole does cause some bounce in the sag, but it gets the job done without renting a bucket truck.

I had a large walnut tree in the back yard of my old house. I remember one time going up to the third floor, pulling the sash out of a window, and sticking about 20 feet of that pole saw out thru the window to cut a limb I couldn't get the right angle on from the ground. Much harder using that pole horizontal, than vertical!

I kind of wish I had a long pole saw like that Joful! I have a limb on a dead ash leaning towards my house about 25' up, and I don't really want to take down the tree unless I get rid of that limb since it's large enough to pull the tree in the wrong direction.

The "rope saw" got me thinking and I ordered a 48" off Amazon. Hopefully it cuts decent after I throw it over that limb and I can take it down in sections.

I kind of wish I had a long pole saw like that Joful! I have a limb on a dead ash leaning towards my house about 25' up, and I don't really want to take down the tree unless I get rid of that limb since it's large enough to pull the tree in the wrong direction.

The "rope saw" got me thinking and I ordered a 48" off Amazon. Hopefully it cuts decent after I throw it over that limb and I can take it down in sections.

is this what you ordered?

http://www.amazon.com/Chainmate-48-...=UTF8&qid=1403541235&sr=8-2&keywords=48"++saw

Yeah. I think for $17 it's worth a shot. I figure the largest challenge will be making sure the teeth are on the down-side to cut, so it might take a few tosses to get it working.

what are you thinking for a weight to throw it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.