Rope saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, maybe just a crescent wrench. It's weighted about perfect, and has a nice hole in the handle to tie to.
Just remember not to smile at your nice throw, before the wrench hits the ground.

alg_lottery_shaw_headshot.jpg

the reviews keep mentioning the chain getting pinched by the limb. If your cutting from the top, gravity would pull the limb away from the chain. I'm looking to cut branches about 4-5 feet out from the tree, not at the crotch.

the reviews keep mentioning the chain getting pinched by the limb. If your cutting from the top, gravity would pull the limb away from the chain. I'm looking to cut branches about 4-5 feet out from the tree, not at the crotch.

My plan is to start off sawing myself, to "score" the sides of the limb and maybe even the bottom if I can get far enough off to the sides. Then I'll have someone help me finish it so we can keep the ropes and chain at a wide angle. I think most of the people who had issues with the chain getting pinched where either cutting directly under or off to the sides by themself, so the rope was almost parallel.

Just remember not to smile at your nice throw, before the wrench hits the ground.

View attachment 134628

Haha, good call! My other option is to give my fiance my fishing rod and let her cast some fishing line over the limb first and then pull up some heavier rope. When I've taken her fishing I've noticed she has a knack for casting into trees.

how does it work? would you recommend it?

It's a chainsaw blade with a length of rope on each end. It has a weigh on one end of the chain designed to keep the teeth down against the limb.

I've only used it a couple of times on limbs roughly 3" in diameter and had no problems. I do, however, spray a bit of oil on it before use which helps keep it from sticking.

You're welcome to try it if you don't mind traveling to Milford to pick it up and return it once you're done.

It's a chainsaw blade with a length of rope on each end. It has a weigh on one end of the chain designed to keep the teeth down against the limb.

I've only used it a couple of times on limbs roughly 3" in diameter and had no problems. I do, however, spray a bit of oil on it before use which helps keep it from sticking.

You're welcome to try it if you don't mind traveling to Milford to pick it up and return it once you're done.

thanks, buy I went ahead and ordered one. if it takes down the handful of limbs I have in mind, it will be well worth it.

Not sure, maybe just a crescent wrench. It's weighted about perfect, and has a nice hole in the handle to tie to.
I've thrown a lot of ropes into a lot of trees. Usually camping in bear country…
Take my advice & use something softer. A Crescent Wrench swinging at you on the end of 30' of rope = !!!
Multiply by 'X' attempts before you get it all situated right & chances of a serious blow to the head are pretty high.
My go to is a Stuff Sack or similar tough little bag filled with sand or pebbles. A bean bag works too. You can use a light, thin rope for the toss & use it to haul up a heavier rope if needed.

I did once take a whack to the forehead doing this with a big stick when canoeing with my new girlfriend (now wife) <>. The only up side was it had 4 days to heal before I saw myself in a mirror :oops:

And she still married you...

Could you not easily make one of these things? rope + chainsaw chain + handles = Rope Chainsaw........

Could you not easily make one of these things? rope + chainsaw chain + handles = Rope Chainsaw........

yes, but all the materials and time are about the same. unless you have extra chains lying around, which i dont.

Probably not as slick as the manufactured rope saws mentioned earlier, but years ago I just took a chain that didn't work on any saws I still had and cut a link out of it. Just tied a length of rope on each end of the chain. It was a little tricky to get into place, but once you did and got the teeth to engage, it would cut right through any large limbs.

Regarding rope weights, I've always had good success using a spare hitch ball. Like mentioned earlier, be careful who's on the other side or if it's going to swing around the tree.

got the rope saw from Amazon and tried it out. Damn thing works pretty well. The piece that clips to the bag is woefully weak, it broke on my last branch. Cut down 5 limbs to let sun onto my drying racks. You can also use it to cut roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.