Rose Grosbeak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Here's a Rose Grosbeak in our feeder. They winter in AZ and make there way to Maine in the summer.

Also the Walpak mountains in NJ and Buttermilk Falls on Mothersday.

Bet you'd never guess this is NJ?

Attachments

• mothers day 009.jpg
    mothers day 009.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 365
  • mothers day 016.jpg
    mothers day 016.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 370
  • mothers day 031.jpg
    mothers day 031.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 372
Sweet, Had a Baltimore Oriele nesting this week in our yard in central Jerz

We had one on our feeder this last week. I didn't see it but the wife got a nice pic of it.

fv

Funny you post this. Had 3 on the feeder just in the last week. Never seen them before so I had to look them up.
I'm thinking those bad storms threw some migrations off course! Nice to see some different birds.

Interesting . . . just this past weekend someone posted some fantastic rose grosbeak photos . . . I've seen a few in the past, but I don't see them often at my feeder . . . and for the first time I saw a Baltimore oriole at my feeder . . . scared away a blue jay which was much larger than it.

I've been wanting to put out some jelly and orange halves to attract Orioles. I see them around - but I've but nothing out for them.

We have lots of purple finches, yellow finches, and eastern bluebirds. Wood peckers too.

This is our first Rose Grosbeak and I've been feeding birds most of my life.

The rose breasted Grosbeaks usually come back here the last week of April every year. We look forward to seeing them. We've still waiting for the hummingbirds.

We do have an oriole who seems to have taken up residence and this is the first year we've got one to come to the feeder. We've tried the jelly and orange slices etc. before but it never has worked except for drawing ants.

Backwoods Savage said:
The rose breasted Grosbeaks usually come back here the last week of April every year. We look forward to seeing them. We've still waiting for the hummingbirds.

We do have an oriole who seems to have taken up residence and this is the first year we've got one to come to the feeder. We've tried the jelly and orange slices etc. before but it never has worked except for drawing ants.

Same experience here . . . tried the orange slices and all I attracted was a bunch of ants.

Well, this morning I was sitting here at the computer and looked out to find 2 orioles sitting on the porch railing! Looks like they will be staying this year.

And speaking of wood peckers (just for Kathleen!) we seem to have a couple of the real red headed woodpeckers now. It is funny to see them with the red bellied woodpeckers. Even though the red bellied are bigger, they back off! Maybe all that red scares them. Maybe it is like having a pair of redheads in the same house!

was at the cottage this evening enjoying dinner and company when this same bird flew and perched on a branch nest to a window we were eating at.
ensuing conversation...
"oh look at that bird...i wonder what kind it is?"
"oh, thats a rose grosbeak" (reply by me...thanks hearth.com!)
also, this was the first evening at the cottage that i did not have to build a fire in the nc-13. keep that up, and pretty soon we'll have leaves on the trees!

We had a western evening grossbeak come by the feeder a couple days ago. I tried to get a picture, but he was a shy guy. They have a russet breast with a bright yellow patch. Quite a handsome fellow he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.