Rose Install: Part 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Before I jump into the install, I'd like to thank Craig, BG, the Mods, Dennis & members of this site for helping me learn about wood stoves, dry wood and the like. Thank you for making this possible. I'm gonna try to keep it to 4 parts, it may go to 5.

The first pice is my older brother attaching the stove connector to the liner. Magnaflex sent me a 20 ft. liner. I order 15 ft of it. We had to cut it down to 13.5 (length to top plate) and use a 1.5' flue extender (second pic).

It's through (pic 3). Wasn't too hard. Me and older bro on roof feeding it through. Pops at bottom, tugging on it. We had to trim some more. Guess my damn measurements were off.

Pic 4 is older bro on roof securing liner and flue extender to top plate as well as rain cap and storm collar. We originally sealed with Rutland furnance cement (mistake) and removed next day and replaced with GE Silicone II.

Pic 5 is stack that needs to be cleaned and polished.

Pic 6, another view of stack.

Lessoned learned, a lot of sweating, elbow grease and arguing with father and brother.

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 594
Nice work. Gotta love that Insuflex.

One question... why the extension? I was told an uninsulated extension could be a creosote trap.

Good question. The unit (Flush Wood Insert from Lopi) calls for 15 ft. of liner. I only have 13.5 to the top plate, hence the need for a 1.5' flue extension.

Is the insulated liner all the way up in the pipe to the cap?

The Insulflex liner only goes to the top plate, where it transitions to an uninsulated 1.5' flue extender. The rain cap sits atop that.

I hate to say it but you should have cut the liner flush with the top of the extension, that's if it would have fit in the pipe. That way you would have been insulated all the way up.

It wouldn't have. The diameter of the flue extender is 6". The diameter of the liner is 7"+.

Well just see how it goes. If you get a lot of creosote buildup up there you might want to get an insulated extension or cut back down to the top plate. Save the piece of Insuflex you cut off. You might need it. I have some leftover if you didn't. I'm about 50 miles from you.

How did the 6" extension fit on the larger top plate? That top plate is designed for the 7-3/8" Insuflex.

Looks like a nice internal masonry chimney. It will stay nice and warm and the insulation on the liner is just a bonus. You really think you needed the extension eh?

Also the cap is designed to attach to the custom top plate. You seem to be using parts that are not compatible. Did you talk to magnaflex?

Mhrischuk, I have the custom top plate you're referring to. I would have used it if I didn't need the flue extender. However I needed the flue extender. No, all parts are from Magnaflex.

I think I would have used the custom top plate and ran the liner up inside an 8" pipe somehow. Than figure out a way to connect the cap. But again... not as designed by Magnaflex. I hear you that all of th eparts are Magnaflex but are they designed to be used that way and tested by Magnaflex?

Magnaflex shipped the liner, custom top plate and rain cap together. In a separate box, they shipped another top plate, flue extender and rain cap. I used the separate box components because they work together. You used the first box because you didn't need a flue extension. I hope I'm clear at this point.

Update: Although I should have contacted TheHeatElement previously about this same concern, I sent him a PM a little bit ago and he is working on it.

Yes I just bought the kit with those three pieces. I got the 20 ft kit and had to cut off about 5 feet so I have a 15 foot flue.

All I am saying is the extension piece should be insulated.

I only have 13 feet and no problems here.

stax, let us know in a few months what you see up there. If no glaze and just powder, then it should be fine.

Budman, my manual states minimum 15 ft. of flue. I'm going with the manual. You got it BG.

And if you want real peace of mind, on a dry winter day when there is no snow on the roof, measure the temperature at the flue cap with an IR thermometer. If it is 250F or higher you are golden. (and yes, your neighbors will think you are nuts.)

Technically insulated would be better. However a decade of looking down liners has told me the difference in soot build up will likely be nominal between the two. You made the right call in extending the flue, I've seen a lot more problems when the chimney is too short compared to a couple uninsulated feet of liner.

Good luck with that install! I wondered if I'd have trouble as my furnace tile flue extends about 6" higher than my insulated s/s liner (they sit side by side, had my woodstove clay liner knocked out) and so far it seems to work OK.. These 2 flues are about 3' higher than any part of the roof..

Ray

Ray, the flue behind it served my oil fired boiler. It has since been ripped out. That flue will be capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.