Rotary damper stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilesitis

Dec 11, 2013
North Carolina
Our fireplace uses a rotary damper with a worm gear. It will not turn, so I looked at the damper and it appears the collar has moved out of place. It is up against the handle (from the inside). This appears to prevent the handle from turning properly. Any idea how I can get the collar back on the right place on the gear? Should it be setting on the middle of the gear?

Last edited:
there should be a set screw on the worm gear remove that or just loosen it and the shaft should slide right outclean it all up nice nice before you put it back together and it should be fine. put the collar on the worm gear before you slide it all back together and don't forget to set your set screw I hope this helps

is that color pieces connector still attached to the damper. voice to text thing working with my Rhode Island accent
Yes it is still connected. It appears the collar piece has shifted toward the handle. It is still around the worm gear but seems to be out of place. It's up next to the handle and the handle hits it when I turn it. But it is still connected to the damper.

hope u can make out what's happening

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_160257_053-628926279.jpg
    IMG_20131213_160257_053-628926279.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 444
Status
Not open for further replies.