Rotating wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stack mine in rows ( 30 ft ) and cover them with rubber roofing. I label each row by writing ( with a permanent marker ) on a small piece of metal flashing with the date and type of wood and nail it to stack. No mistaking on what kind of wood I'm burning and how old it is. My worst nightmare would be straight lined winds come through and push them all over mixing my wood.

You must have entered your post as I was typing...basically what we do. I also label the type of wood and date stacked or I would neve be sure of what is what!

I have made kind of a mess of my pallets. I have a seperate area of red oak only. I need to find a new area, as that stuff is over a year old, and I don't want to add new splits in front of stuff that's on it's way.

My use now stuff ranges in age from a year split to a month. I had put older in the back row of pallets, and newer in the front.. but that sucks. I'll need to keep the whole row plowed out. I should have stacked back and front at the same time.

As of now.. I have 44 pallets. Middle 15 or so is new. Sides are older. Front oldest, back row is a bit newer, but all good ash. I'm only two pallets deep. Long rows.

I guess I've gotta start painting the ends with a split date. It's not a big deal to shuffle around. But seems dumb. Guess it's better than re stacking... AND.. I can listen to the stereo in the kubota while I move em. :)

I throw an extra rotation or two into my routine because I have very little level/usable area on which to maintain stacks, so I try to maximize its usage. My full pile of stacked splits isn't nearly as large as many others here or it might be a different story, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy a couple weekend days a year maintaining the stack (checking/replacing pallets, cleaning out accumulated sawdust and bark from under the pallets, preventing spillage due to mismatched shrinkage, checking for moisture levels, giving the cat a shot at any mice that make a break for it, replacing any failed rubber fasteners*... that sort of thing). There will certainly come a time when I'm not into this (either because I don't feel like it or I physically can't do it), but for now, it makes for a couple good afternoons a year.

*I use irreparable inner tubes from my bicycles as bungee cords - they don't last forever, but they're getting a second life as bungee cords when they can no longer be patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.