Rotating wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
This may be more work than its worth I don't know. But I had to fix a row of wood it was the middle row. I was looking at the inside row that doesn't get much sun. It doesn't seem to be seasoning as fast as the other 2 rows. Should I rotate the stuff thats drying good to the inside row?

Absolutely. Every few days, at least. It's called "riddling", and it's the same technique that's been used for centuries during the ageing of fine champagne. I riddle my wood as often as I get an opportunity. Seriously. Not kidding here. :lol: Rick

Thanks I thought it might be a smart thing to do but I wasn't sure. I noticed the wood I just cut seamed to be drying faster than the stuff
I stacked 4 months ago.

no man said:
Thanks I thought it might be a smart thing to do but I wasn't sure. I noticed the wood I just cut seamed to be drying faster than the stuff
I stacked 4 months ago.

For sure. That`s why my wood no longer goes straight into the woodshed. Wind and sun is best in spite of the extra work.

No man...I'm kidding! Really! Just let it alone, it'll season just fine, you don't need to spend your time out there fiddling or riddling or restacking. I didn't mean to intentionally mislead you into thinking that what I was saying had any relation to reality. Now, drop the wood and back slowly away from the stack. Do it now. Rick

fossil said:
No man...I'm kidding! Really! Just let it alone, it'll season just fine, you don't need to spend your time out there fiddling or riddling or restacking. I didn't mean to intentionally mislead you into thinking that what I was saying had any relation to reality. Now, drop the wood and back slowly away from the stack. Do it now. Rick

Hey Rick: If he is outside re-stacking and gets it all done before he comes back and reads that you were just kidding. hmmm, can you feel the noose getting tighter? :-/

If you have extra time come over to my place and split some!!!

sonnyinbc said:
Hey Rick: If he is outside re-stacking and gets it all done before he comes back and reads that you were just kidding. hmmm, can you feel the noose getting tighter? :-/

Well, sonny, I guess I have a choice. I can feel guilty and try to make it up to him somehow (although Ohio's a long way away, especially at today's fuel prices), or he and I can agree to chalk it up to one of his incremental tuition payments that we've all made along the woodburning trail toward our Summa Cum Flammas. :) [Aside to no man...be careful how you read my posts, inanety is my middle name.] Rick

Well I have been out tearing the stacks down. I thought well I could just tear it all down and make a Holz. I have a few days off from work.
Tearing the stack down wasn't wasted time cause the inside stack keeps leaning over onto the other rows.

No man, I sincerely hope that in my feeble attempt at a joke I didn't cause you to go out and do a bunch of unnecessary work. Rick

Awww knots Rick! I thought I had him, I thought for sure he was on his way to split wood at my house. Are you gonna tell him about the right way to rotate wood now that you got him going?

Joined late, too late to take the first advice. Let's see, what is the advice? Rotate or just drink wine and let the wood rot :ahhh:

burntime said:
...Are you gonna tell him about the right way to rotate wood now that you got him going?

Clockwise in Ohio. If he lived in the Southern Hemisphere it would have to be Counterclockwise. :lol: Rick

Jerry_NJ said:
...Let's see, what is the advice? Rotate or just drink wine and let the wood rot :ahhh:

Jerry, the wood can just rot in any case...we should all rotate while drinking wine, I think. :lol: Rick

"......riddling...." LOL!

Look what you did....made the poor guy go out and tear his stack apart. :lol:

Trust me I'm not laughing at you no man.....to be perfectly honest, it was a reasonable question, you had logic associated with it.

You've got to admit though, this turn of events was pretty funny!

I hear your wood seasons better if you talk to it!!! Something about carbon monoxide...

OK, you think I'm kidding...and for good reason, as I often am...but even though it has absolutely nothing to do with firewood seasoning, here's riddling:

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/vincyc-riddling.htm

I'm going to go drink some wine and rotate now. No man...come on in out of that heat and join me! :cheese: Rick

I almost fell for it. :red: Then again I changed the air in my tires for years before my uncle said it was a bad Maine'a joke and the air could stay there for ever........just kidding, funny thread thanks for the laugh guy's :lol:

That was funny Rick That poor guy out there busten his butt .;I think this weekend Ill restack my wood HAAAAAAAAAA :lol:

Well Rick I did have to tear part of it down part of it was sinking and causing the stack to lean and lean and lean. I figure one day I would go out there and it would all be on the ground. So I fixed it and hopefuly it will stay. If wisconsin wasn't so far away I would come over and help split wood.

no man said:
Well Rick I did have to tear part of it down part of it was sinking and causing the stack to lean and lean and lean. I figure one day I would go out there and it would all be on the ground. So I fixed it and hopefuly it will stay. If wisconsin wasn't so far away I would come over and help split wood.

You've done more than enough for one day, no man. Have some wine and unrotate (counterclockwise) for a while, and enjoy the rest of your time off from work. And don't let anybody go riddling around with your wood. :) Rick

fossil said:
no man said:

You've done more than enough for one day, no man. Have some wine and unrotate (counterclockwise) for a while, and enjoy the rest of your time off from work. And don't let anybody go riddling around with your wood. :) Rick

See Rick: you ain`t so evil after all. I like all is well that end`s well. Now, then Ricky, can you just hop over the border and help the wife with the "user friendly camera" that I bought her for our 35th.?? That was ash can stuff, but got to say that when I mentioned the manual, at 100+ pages, well, so sad, it actually is 192 pages.

Talk about nooses hanging tighter eh?? Don`t want to high jack the thread , so really , if possible , long, long, single cords in rows, just hanging in the wind, and eating the sunshine up. and let the wind really get at it. Do that,,, no man, and ya can`t be in the same kind of soup that fossil and I are in right now. :lol:

sonnyinbc said:
...Now, then Ricky, can you just hop over the border and help the wife with the "user friendly camera" that I bought her for our 35th.??

Sonny...just return the camera and forget about it, and get her some wine and rotate with her for a while. ;-) Rick

fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...Now, then Ricky, can you just hop over the border and help the wife with the "user friendly camera" that I bought her for our 35th.??

Sonny...just return the camera and forget about it, and get her some wine and rotate with her for a while. ;-) Rick

No, laughter here, / but I am thinking digital movie camera. How could it be any worse??

Status
Not open for further replies.