ROTW...Potato and ham soup...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
This is a good recipe to use up that leftover ham. I double the recipe and I do not peel the potatoes.
My pic does not do it justice...ok the pic sucks...so I added some peeps for "distraction"...;lol
I know I know...I am cracked in the head...:confused:
But boy does my house smell good...

http://www.grandmaskitchen.com/recipes/heart-warming-soups/chunky-potato-soup/

Any good recipes out there to use up the leftover easter ham?
Do share... pot soup.jpg

Anyways...we need a lil "happy" time now...things gettin a lil heated in some other areas..;)

Reactions: pen and zap
I think I might give that a try for Mrs D tomorrow night, thanks Gamma.

Looks great Gamma, the wife is making some pea soup tomorrow with some of the Easter Ham, she made some Raisin Sauce on Sunday that was great.

zap

Sandwiches maybe? I think I've always cave-manned it and picked the meat off the bone until it was clean. If I make a sandwich out of leftover meat like that, I try to keep it simple so I don't bury the flavor in other stuff... a touch of mustard (for a zing), iceberg lettuce (for crunch) wheat bread (because that's what's around the house).

Smoky Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup recipe:

2 cups dried black beans
1 meaty ham bone, plus 1 1/2 cups meat from the bone
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, uct into 1/4" dice
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/2t sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 t Spanish smoked paprika (pimenton)
1/8 t dried oregano
1/2cup chipotle salsa (I use Pace Picante Sauce, Med with 1 t ground chipotle)
1/4 cup dry sherry (I use slurp vinegar)

Soak beans overnight and then drain.

Transfer beans to large, heavy-bottomed pot and add ham bone. Pour broth and water over beans and add bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium; partially cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender yet still hold their shape. Add water if needed. Reduce heat to medium-lo or low as needed to maintain gentle bubbling.

Turn off heat when beans are done; let the soup cool for about 10 minutes.

Use tongs to transfer ham bone to cutting board. Cut meat off bone in chunks, then cut into small pieces or shred. Discard bone.

Discard bay leaf. Use a stick blender to coarsely puree black beans in the broth so that some are mashed and some remain whole.

Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften, then stir in the garlic and cook for 7 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle in both kinds of paprika and the oregano. Add salsa and cook for a minute or two.

Transfer the onion mixture to the soup, along with the reserved ham. Stir in the sherry, if using. Reheat the soup over medium-low heat just long enough for it to warm through.

Serve with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

Reactions: GAMMA RAY
Thanks Gamma. We were on the mood for hand and mashed potatoes and biscuits yesterday being that it was raining and we were lazy yesterday. i went to the market and bought a 7lb ham which we made 1/4 of and we still had left overs. i will definitely try this tonight. Im sure the wife will love it. We have all of the ingredients except for the peeps.I just have to go find some peeps. hahahhaha.

My version of Clapshot 1/3 each of boiled taters,turnips and parsnips. Boil and mash them up with butter and a little milk or cream and add a little crumbled up bacon and 1/8 t. of nutmeg.

Gary

was "black eyed peas and jowls" last night for me, kept it simple, soaked out the beans 2 minute boil and set for 90 minutes off heat, added diced simmered jowls, seasalt, coarse ground pepper (a lot of it :) ) ,thyme, a little sage, and a dollup of sorghum molasses. left on low heat for about another 45 minutes.

not a meal to take a picture of but i ate so much i hurt myself;)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.