1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rough Duty/Shatter Proof Light Bulb Warning

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Hearth Mistress, Dec 28, 2012.

1. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    And the gasses from the carpeting, furniture, wiring, etc, will be even worse than from a couple of pans.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Oh that is a fun process indeed.

raybonz likes this.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    The single biggest reason we started wearing SCBA for dumpster fires. At least that's what they told us twenty years ago.

How about silicone coated bulbs? They are required in foodservice.
    Dune likes this.
  4. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    I woulda tried the same thing.
    raybonz likes this.
  5. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Is this ban only in the US or is it effective in Canada as well???

Andrew
  6. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
  7. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Cuba is way ahead of us and banned them in 2005! There are cases where incandescent are efficient if used in a heat application and I still feel it should be a matter of choice. Most of my lights are CFL, especially lights that are on for long periods of time. I tried CFL globe lights in the bathroom and they are terrible with long warm up time and they failed quickly due to frequent on-off cycling something that CFL's dislike so I went back to incandescent lamps there. LED's are great but they are still in their infancy for general lighting purposes and I feel they will become inexpensive eventually and especially if the power companies subsidize them like they did with CFL's..

Ray
  8. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hrrrmm..safe from the lightbulb phasing out but that's about it...ha ha. I see our country wide phasing out begins next year.

Andrew
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Yep...My teflon pan kills the chicken breast every time!! Tastey too!!
    raybonz likes this.
  10. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    lol
  11. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Apparently, things didn't pan out for the chicken. [​IMG]::-)
    Hearth Mistress and raybonz like this.
  12. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I try to have my chicken dead before it hits the pan. Gotta watch out for PETA.
    (People Eating Tasty Animals).
  13. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    Quoting someone else, i forget who, "The only thing dumber than using regular incandescent bulbs, is stocking up on them".

I understand that there may be some specialized uses (using them for their heat output for birds for example). But beyond that, i have no idea why you would use them. i have switched out my whole house to CFL. The only incandescent that is used is on a 3 way switch that has 2 of the light up switches, as such, about 15 volts leak through to it, so if a CFL is used it flickers. I have outside light timers that say they are only designed for incandescent, but the CFL work great.

The bulbs last way longer and cost much less to run. The light output is great, and if you buy smartly, the light color is great. its a clear winner... until you start looking at LED, I havent switched to them yet.
    seige101 likes this.
  14. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    CFLs are good in certain applications - until you break one. They contain mercury, and the phosphor is something you don't want to breathe.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  15. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Not to mention they are hazardous waste and I am sure the landfills are loaded with them too..
  16. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    here is how to clean it up:
    http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

On the global scale, they are way better off than the extra power used.

At home, well, I dont make it a habit to break lights. And the small amount of ash in my house from the stove is probably of great concern, as are the handful of potato chips i just ate.

to each their own.
    woodgeek likes this.
  17. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Almost nobody plans on breaking them - that's why they call them accidents. I have a bunch in my house. I'm not against them, I am against someone telling me what I can use for light. There are applications where they are not a good choice.
    raybonz likes this.
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    She's probably right. I had the same urge after seeing the light of the Cree. Fortunately the price cured me. Well, that and I have a stock of CFLs that will last about 5 yrs.. Hopefully by then the Cree price will drop to something reasonable.
    raybonz likes this.
  19. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I haven't bought a regular incandescent bulb in the past 15 yrs, except for an appliance bulb in the refrigerator. We have several halogen desk lamps and I use them for outdoor flood lamps as well. When we redid the bathroom I went all halogen in there too. I'm welcoming the change. It will drive down costs and I like that there are now bulbs in conventional form factors that are halogen inside.

On the teflon outgassing question, does anyone know if the "yoshi blue" pan has this issue too?
  20. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Except I got those HD label CR6s for $25 ea. and they have an integrated trim. Just the trim alone for incandescent costs about that. Instant payback in this application.
  21. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    The yoshi blue and other ceramic type style pans do advertise they are "non-teflon" but what they use to make them nonstick isn't discussed :). I have several ceramic enamel over cast iron pots and stuff can get stuck or burnt on to the bottom. for the most part, I stick to my stainless steel or cast iron.
  22. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Unheated buildings hate cfl bulbs. Getting the equivalent lighting of 4 300 watt bulbs gets pretty pricey when using other types. Incandescent still wins in this application when the lights are only on for short periods of time.
    jeff_t and raybonz like this.
  23. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    This is quite true... Ive found CFLs can work in cold if they are left on for long periods and can warm up... for example for my outside floodlights I have CFLs on the switched circuit, but keep halogens in the motion sensor lights.

Indoor, I had a real problem with CFLs on dimmers. I have a lot of can lights in the insulated ceilings in the kitchen. I had bad ice dam problems and the can lights were a culprit so I installed new IC/AT cans and wanted to run lower wattage bulbs for less heat output. I got some free"Dimmable" CFLs from MassSave that where awful... so Instead I put in HD brand Cree CR6s ($25/ea). These I just LOVE and they seem even brighter than 65wat floods. Plus they have an integrated trim so at $25 they are actually as cheap as incandescent ($3 for the blub + $20-$30 for trim) for a new install. Its a win-win.
  24. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
  25. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    raybonz likes this.