Roughneck Wood Grenade vs Ace Truper diamond wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
I went to Ace Hardware and they ordered a "Roughneck Wood Grenade" but when it came and it was delivered to me it was a
Ace Truper Wg-4x-c33098 "Collins " Grenade Wedge - Diamond Shape
It has a rounded tip of about 1/4" instead of a sharp tip, not sure it will get the job done since it will be hard to get that rounded tip into the cracks in end of log etc. Wonder if people have experience with what I was sold and what I wanted to be sold. I am thinking I will return this and see if I can find the Roughneck Wood Grendade but if you guys have used the Ace Truper grenade and found it as useful then I will not return it. Also charged me the cost of the roughneck but they have this one on their site for 10.99 not 16.99 which also ticks me off, BAIT AND SWITCH is what it feels like ACE Hardware did to me in Walpole MA.

You should not have taken it if it was not what you ordered. I do not know if there will be any significant difference between the two. i don't think that the rounded tip is a big deal, that puppy will sink once you hit it and it does not not need to get right in that crack to split the wood in that location. The wood will give where it gives. Mauls and wedges do not need to be sharp to work.

I had one of those grenade wedges - used it one day and that was it. I like the regular wedges better. I have two of those that I use for when I just need to split a piece or two.

PS - there is only a generic grenade wedge and an estwing on the site right now.

You asked why did I take it? Well it was not I who picked it up, and so when I got home and looked found it was the generic on they advertise for 10.99 not the one they advertise for 16.99 so will at the least bring back and see what they can do price wise since I did not get what I ordered, have the pictures and the internet page of what they gave and what they ordered(two different things) and pricing.
Hope someone gets on who has used this and the Roughneck to tell the differnces. I had an old guy tell me to get the Roughneck and accept nothing else, said the Rouchneck has a sharp point and that the design of Roughneck is slightly different and cuts though a log like soft butter. That the one I got will do the job but he felt was more work intensive. Wished they just said, we do not have the Roughneck and we have this one do you want it?

thanks, seems alot of places have the generic one and different prices for them. Going to ACE tomorrow to see if they either want to adjust the price to the 10.99 or take it back and will find it somewhere else. I do want one with a sharp point as opposed to rounded, every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.