Round slices....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
I was wondering everybodies thoughts...Since rounds take forever to season, what would be the season time/burn quality of maybe a 3 or 4 inch section of round? Is it worth it making the extra passes with the chainsaw or just split them and be done?

Best to just split them. However those cookies on a very cold day come in handy. Just my .0002 censt worth!

Unless you have some wood that just won't split I think it would be a lot faster to cut normal lengths then split compared to cutting short lengths. I don't know hich would season faster. I think slices might season really fast, but only if you can stack them with both ends exposed to the air.

Significant waste in saw dust too

All very good points....thanks!!

3" to 4" rounds don't take all that long to season. Mine seem to dry at no worse a rate than a 6- 8" split

Hogwildz said:
3" to 4" rounds don't take all that long to season. Mine seem to dry at no worse a rate than a 6- 8" split

+1 - I have some single rows of 4-6" diameter red oak rounds that were pretty darn dry in two years, and red maple, ash and cherry rounds that were ready in a year. Cheers!

I have a top loader so I burn a varietry of lengths, but mostly shorter than other people. I can fit a couple 20 inch splits in an empty stove. My target length is sixteen inchs but anything over twenty gets cut in half.
I end up with a lot of chunks when 10 inch long rounds get quartered. I use the chunks to finish filling the stove after a couple 16'' splits. The chunks are always super dry.

Cookies are for eating, not burning. :cheese:

I do have a few every now and then if I cut a piece to long for the stove and then whack the end off. I would not make them intentionally though...seems a waste.

I'll cut them like that when its an odd shape, I'm talking bad splits. As far as seasoning don't know I don't even look at it till i'm ready to burn.

It seems to me that water exits from the end grain a little faster than from the sides of cookies and splits. I wouldn't purposely make cookies for that reason though. Inevitably, there are always plenty of cookies leftover because tree length never comes in multiples of 18 inches (our split targer length).

Backwoods Savage said:

Yeah, well, you've never seen my wife try to bake cookies.

I had a post oak come down in a storm in November 2010. I decided I would cut it into N/S lengths- about nine inches. Of course it took longer to buck it up and used more gas and left more chips/saw dust in the woods. But, when I was splitting (Fiskers) I would stack three of those rounds on top of each other and whack em'. 100% of the time I split through two rounds with one swing. Occasionally, I got a three-for-one. Those chunks dried really fast. I had probably a third or a cord. (a REAL cord- I never use the F word here.) Those chunks burn great. I lay them in N/S on top of my longer E/W splits and I also used them to fill up empty spaces for overnight burns and to get a morning fire going. For me, it was worth the effort.

Kenster said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My wife makes excellent cookies! She used to be a baker too and it is something she loves to do. Maybe we'll have to ship a few down to you. lol.

Backwoods Savage said:
Kenster said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My wife makes excellent cookies! She used to be a baker too and it is something she loves to do. Maybe we'll have to ship a few down to you. lol.

That would make you my new best friend. I'd no longer have to rely on the annual visit of the Girl Scouts for cookies!

Status
Not open for further replies.