Round Stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkshed

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2012
NH
I've seen pictures of round hay bale type stacks here before and finally decided that I want to try one. What is used to elevate it? Pallets? What is the diameter?
They are wicked cool looking.
Thanks

Search for Holz Hausen.

I just put some pallets and disposable wood at the bottom. One key is that the wider you make it, the easier it will be to make. Here are two of mine:

HolzHausenRebuilt.jpg

Holz2.jpg

Reactions: loon
I just built this holz hausen this morning. It's kind of small, but fit perfectly on the lid to my dry-well close to the house. What I like about holz hausens is that you fill the interior with all the odd unstackable pieces, like a basket.

Scott

Attachments

• 2013-02-23 12.55.19a.jpg
    2013-02-23 12.55.19a.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: ScotO and loon
Nice stacks :)

I use 4 pallets as a base and make an 8' diameter bottom. Never put a tarp on top.

Thanks to all.
Do the splits take longer to season this way?

What could be better than a rectangular stack with air going over, under, around and through?o_O

Reactions: jeff_t
According to this article http://thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html stacking your wood in a holz hausen seasons the wood faster, because the air moves up through the stack like a chimney. I remain skeptical.

Scott

Right, I'm also skeptical.

I actually made a little chimney so that the holz could be covered and yet still have air flow. It was a fun idea, but it probably didn't make much difference.

HolzWithChimney2.jpg

HA! That's funny! It really looks like a "hausen" now.

I think I'll stick to plans of one day starting a wood shed. :) They do look interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.