Round vent/square chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyview Farm

Nov 12, 2014
Kansas
Hey everyone - I am new to the forum and wood stoves, but was excited to have an earth stove in the basement when I bought my house years ago. I saw the soot coming down the wall, which has made me hesitant to start a fire, so I pulled back the collar to inspect. There was cracked mortar breaking off around the vent pipe that sealed this gap connecting the round pipe to the square tile chimney. I removed the mortar and am trying to find the best way to seal this gap around the pipe. I bought some refractory cement, but am thinking that is what was done before. I would appreciate any ideas.

Vent.jpg

This is just a guess, but it looks like a 6" pipe is just slid into a 8" chimney tile. The problem with filling the gap is that creosote that is running down the wall will be trapped and likely create a bigger hazard. I think you are going to need to find a way to properly line the entire chimney.

You are correct, a 6" round pipe with a 7" square chimney tile. The pipe ends where the chimney tile goes vertical, about a foot in, and is not lined up the chimney. Is lining the chimney the only option? I am seeing lots of dollar signs. Still more affordable than the alternative of having my house burn down I suppose.

You are correct, a 6" round pipe with a 7" square chimney tile. The pipe ends where the chimney tile goes vertical, about a foot in, and is not lined up the chimney. Is lining the chimney the only option? I am seeing lots of dollar signs. Still more affordable than the alternative of having my house burn down I suppose.

There are not even any clay liners in it?

That is an odd thimble and begs the question whether something else is odd. Does the square tile thimble tie flush into a clay tile lined chimney?

To fill the gaps I would try 7/8" stove door gasket material.

Status
Not open for further replies.