Round Wood.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Hey folks- I'm looking to build onto a peice of furniture. I already made an attachment once using 4x4" wood 6" tall for the feet of the top. What I'd like to do is make a smaller top with round feet instead of 4x4x6 something along the lines of a 4" diameter round peice of wood 6" tall. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and all they had was a 1" diameter stalk. Any suggestions on where I might find the afformentined round wood.........................
THanks

Sorry, but what you are saying does not make sense to me... Perhaps if you posted some pictures and a bit better description of what you are wanting to do?

Gooserider

Thanks- sorry if I got too ambiguous. Here's some pics.
Top of the table with legs or feet shown
Top-1.gif

Top inverted with legs/ feet shown
Legs.gif

So rather than have thems square as noted in the pics, I'd like them round.........

Thanks guys- there's a couple spots that just popped into mind I'm gonna check out. I'll let ya know what I dig up...........

Ahhh... With the pictures it makes MUCH more sense. Nice looking work BTW. Aside from Leel's suggestion of looking for columbs, I'd also look at websites like Rockler or Van Dyke Restorations to see if they have anything suitable. However I would expect that you might need to make your own, which could be done a few ways....

1. W/ a wood lathe - find or glue up a larger block that you can turn down to your desired size.

2. Glue up a large number of wood strips into a cylinder and then smooth out the edges with some sort of sander or on a lathe - you will also need a jointer, table saw, or some other good method of cutting angled edges on the strips so as to make a cylinder. (BTW, this is how most of the columbs you can purchase are made)

3. Find a log of the appropriate diameter and remove the bark, then do whatever other finishing you want.

Gooserider

THanks goose. Thing is I don't have access to a router. I'm thinking, I'll let you know what melts down......

Woodmann,

I am a woodturner. I like to make square wood round. But, I live in New England. Shipping would be a problem.

If you check out

http://www.woodturner.org

On the left side is a "AAW Local Chapters" link. If you look up your location there. Then send a message to the nearest club president. They should be able to fix you up with someone who can help you out.

Looks like an easy job. It would be best if you knew exactly what you wanted before contacting them.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

hanks nailed- prety sure all I want is 4 peices of wood 4" in diameter 6" tall.........

nailed_nailer said:
Woodmann,

I am a woodturner. I like to make square wood round. But, I live in New England. Shipping would be a problem.

If you check out

http://www.woodturner.org

On the left side is a "AAW Local Chapters" link. If you look up your location there. Then send a message to the nearest club president. They should be able to fix you up with someone who can help you out.

Looks like an easy job. It would be best if you knew exactly what you wanted before contacting them.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Where are you on the cape I am not too far from there..

Ray

Ray,

I'm in Mashpee.

You interested in Turning?

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Ray,

I'm in Mashpee.

You interested in Turning?

---Nailer---

I never really gave it any thought but it would be interesting to see what it's about... Do you do this as a hobby or as work?

Ray

Ray,

Just a serious hobby. I'm president of the Cape Cod AAW Chapter.

Anytime you want to see what it is all about let me know. Woodturners like to share the hobby with everyone.

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Ray,

Just a serious hobby. I'm president of the Cape Cod AAW Chapter.

Anytime you want to see what it is all about let me know. Woodturners like to share the hobby with everyone.

---Nailer---

I'll keep that in mind..

Thanx Nail!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.