1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Roxul and block off plate?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Reckless, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Reckless

Reckless Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange county, NY

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That's the stuff. Pretty much any sheet metal will work. I used a sheet of galvy stuff from the duct work section at Lowes. So 22 gauge or more should do it. Mostly just for the stiffness.
  3. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
  4. Reckless

Loc:
    Orange county, NY
  5. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Good that you are getting rid off that slammer install. How soon will you be installing the Matrix insert? For a temporary fix I would just stuff some Roxul in the damper area and make the block-off plate specifically for the liner that comes with the insert. Before winter it should not matter anyway.
  6. Reckless

Loc:
    Orange county, NY
    Im hoping this fall, just gotta see how the cash flow is :) Your right though I have enough roxul that I can stuff 4 dampers XD but I also have a machine shop at work where I have unlimited amounts of scrap metal so I think Ill just do two block offs. Thanks!!
  7. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Bart I heard using galvanized sheet metal is not good, could release a nasty smell , please set me straight. I have a sheet that says galvanized on it in the basement I could use but thought I couldn't
  8. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Block off plates don't get even close to the point where galvy off gasses. Galvanized is dangerous when you do stuff like weld it.
  9. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Cool I'm going to get my lazy butt on it this weekend , feeling the itch coming on !
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    "Exposure usually arises through hot metalworking processes, such as smelting and casting of zinc alloys, or welding of galvanized metals. If the metal concerned is particularly high-risk, then cold sanding processes may also cause it, even though the dose is lower. "