Roxul and block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
That's the stuff. Pretty much any sheet metal will work. I used a sheet of galvy stuff from the duct work section at Lowes. So 22 gauge or more should do it. Mostly just for the stiffness.

Good that you are getting rid off that slammer install. How soon will you be installing the Matrix insert? For a temporary fix I would just stuff some Roxul in the damper area and make the block-off plate specifically for the liner that comes with the insert. Before winter it should not matter anyway.

Good that you are getting rid off that slammer install. How soon will you be installing the Matrix insert? For a temporary fix I would just stuff some Roxul in the damper area and make the block-off plate specifically for the liner that comes with the insert. Before winter it should not matter anyway.
Im hoping this fall, just gotta see how the cash flow is :) Your right though I have enough roxul that I can stuff 4 dampers XD but I also have a machine shop at work where I have unlimited amounts of scrap metal so I think Ill just do two block offs. Thanks!!

That's the stuff. Pretty much any sheet metal will work. I used a sheet of galvy stuff from the duct work section at Lowes. So 22 gauge or more should do it. Mostly just for the stiffness.

Bart I heard using galvanized sheet metal is not good, could release a nasty smell , please set me straight. I have a sheet that says galvanized on it in the basement I could use but thought I couldn't

Block off plates don't get even close to the point where galvy off gasses. Galvanized is dangerous when you do stuff like weld it.

Block off plates don't get even close to the point where galvy off gasses. Galvanized is dangerous when you do stuff like weld it.
Cool I'm going to get my lazy butt on it this weekend , feeling the itch coming on !

"Exposure usually arises through hot metalworking processes, such as smelting and casting of zinc alloys, or welding of galvanized metals. If the metal concerned is particularly high-risk, then cold sanding processes may also cause it, even though the dose is lower. "

Status
Not open for further replies.