Roxul R value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Planing on placing some roxul where my liners pass through the damper opening... Which R value should I use?

How big is the void?

You'd make it fit the same as fiberglass insulation. You want a sound fit, but not too squished, and no gaps. That said, it takes what it takes to fill the size hole you have.

If you buy r-13, then you could simply use more layers from another bat to fill the void if needed. If you buy r-30 bats, and they are too big, you should be able to peel some back and only use what you need.

pen

Thanks! Our local lowes doesn't carry it so I get the joy of ordering it online.

From what I read here, it will be worth it

I hear that.

If you need help, give the dimensions of the area you need to fill around the liner, and I'm sure folks here can help you pick the right size if you are unsure.

A quick tip for using Roxul: cut it with a bread knife (or any serrated knife). It does an amazing job!

+1 to what Pen said. Add multiple layers would be my suggestion. An R12 bag contains something like 8-10 sheets of it (I just installed 7 bags) and can cover roughly 60 square feet. $35 a bag here.

Andrew

I ordered Roxul while at the store because they don't stock it here. Voice mail today stating its in so will grab tomorrow. Took 5 business days. I went with the smallest pieces they had, believe its 3.5 thick by 15.5 wide and 4 ft long. I figure the smaller section will be easier to work with.
I ordered my perlite from the other big box lumberyard. They shipped it straight to my house - free.
We'll make an improved block off plate to be assured the Roxul will stay up there as far we can push it. Then our plan is to pour the Perlite in from the top.
Let me know if anyone sees a problem with the approach.
Mine drafts well and has minimal creosote without insulation in a brick chimney but for little cost and half a Saturday seems like it can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.