Roxul rox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
A friend swapped me some spare Roxul for a collection of Patrick O'Brian paperbacks and so I filled in where a block-off plate should have been installed and put some batts behind and around the stove to help make up for my poorly-designed outside chimney.

-dan

Attachments

• roxulx2.jpg
    roxulx2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2,126
  • roxulx1.jpg
    roxulx1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 2,535
if you get some time maybe get some sheet metal, paint it with stove paint and make some false walls to kinda dress it up some. Form will truely follow function and keep more het in!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm curious if there is any functional reason to add sheet metal. The whole "mess" is completely hidden behind the faceplate which I removed to install the Roxul but which is now bolted back in place (see avatar).

-dan

danham said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm curious if there is any functional reason to add sheet metal. The whole "mess" is completely hidden behind the faceplate which I removed to install the Roxul but which is now bolted back in place (see avatar).

-dan

Sheet metal will reflect the heat given off, I plan on putting in some roxul this spring and Im going to cut a plate out of sheet metal I got at HD.

Ahhhhhhh, I didn't see that..... I am actually going to pull my insert out sometime this spring/summer to do what I suggested but I amnot putting the surrounds back on. I want the as much heat to get into the room as possible. Mine is also an exterior chimney and with just the top surrounfd off I can feel a significant difference.

First burn with the Roxul in place tonight and with all the usual disclaimers that this is hardly scientific, the tin surrounds have never been hotter in the upper portions and never been cooler down low where the Roxul is shielding the tin.

It's 29 out and the gas furnace thermostat is set to 66 and hasn't so much as twitched for hours -- it's 69 in the hall where it's located, fairly far from the insert. It's about 75 in the living room where the stove is.

-dan

danham said:
First burn with the Roxul in place tonight and with all the usual disclaimers that this is hardly scientific, the tin surrounds have never been hotter in the upper portions and never been cooler down low where the Roxul is shielding the tin.

It's 29 out and the gas furnace thermostat is set to 66 and hasn't so much as twitched for hours -- it's 69 in the hall where it's located, fairly far from the insert. It's about 75 in the living room where the stove is.

-dan

The insulation should help quite a bit especially with an exterior chimney. Mines in the middle of the house but I suspect Im losing some heat to the middle that gets trapped inside the stone masonry, doesnt do me much good in there.

Sounds funny but that is a nice flex pipe. I'm running the same stuff, extra heavy duty. I know it is expensive but it wont go anywhere for a long time. At my old house I had a Country 310 with 8" exhaust. When I went to the warehouse to pick up the pipe kit the guy driving the fork lift looked at the paper work and came back with a 16 foot long coil of 7" flex. I was getting 3 pieces of rigid 7" and one piece of 7" flex and one adapter 8" to 7". I asked what was going on and he said they were out of short chunks and told me to just run flex all the way. I'm a good fabricator and have tools so I quickly agreed and took off. The remainder of flex I took to the stove shop and traded for a blower. The stove shop could not believe what I told them, I received the blower and was set up great. The price for that coil of flex was about $800.00..... Just smile and wave.

The price difference between the good stuff and a lesser grade of flex pipe was not huge, though I can't recall exact numbers, and with my not-so-great exterior chimney I wanted to take no chances.

During the install, one of the guys showed me how he could jump up and down on a scrap piece and even his fairly substantial weight (I'm guessing 225) didn't dent or deform it.

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.