RSF Delta 2 Replacing Gas Stove - FINISHED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samhoff2

Aug 12, 2011
Wyoming
I've posted other places, but here I'll post pics of the construction thus far.

When we bought our house 3 years ago it had a very new gas stove. So nice we just couldn't bear removing it.

Until now.

We took out the gas stove and put in an RSF Delta 2. The construction is pretty much done except for the rockwork.

I think this is where this belongs; I looked in the "picture" thread but those weren't really pics of stoves.

This first pic is the gas fireplace with custom bookshelves and surround (I said we didn't want to remove it, right?)

Sam

Attachments

• fb-fireplace.jpg
    fb-fireplace.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 692
Latest step: Sheet rocked around chimney, concrete board around fireplace. Awaiting delivery of rock in 1 week.

Attachments

• 9-1--woodb- 003.jpg
    9-1--woodb- 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 645
Ok, so FINALLY we are almost done. "I will get it finished tomorrow" (the stonemason told me yesterday).

But I have 2 questions:

1. I accidentally got some paint on that nice, black front surface of the stove. What is the best thing to use to remove it?

2. Once all the stone is on, my stonemason says I should wait 5 days before building a fire to let the mortar "set". I presume he knows what he is talking about, but if any of you have any comments I would welcome them.

Thanks!

Sam

Attachments

• e-rockfireplace.jpg
    e-rockfireplace.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 622
Nice install like the look of the brick. Dont have any answers to your questions but I am wondering how big of a room you put the fireplace in? What made you go with a RSF fireplace over others? Again looks real nice.

Ok, here are a few more photos...

Sam

Attachments

• delta-10.jpg
    delta-10.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 869
  • delta-11.jpg
    delta-11.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 746
  • delta-12.jpg
    delta-12.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • delta-13.jpg
    delta-13.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,331
Wow, very nice job it looks awesome!

To answer your questions...

1. depends on the paint. Try soaking it and then gently try washing it off. A razor blade could get the bulk of it.

2. 5 days is bare minimum.

Nice looking job!

Thanks for the replies.

By the way, here is a series of three photos showing the error we made: the pipe initially went straight up and then in the bedroom above it we had to put in a bend. I looked at that for a week or so before I swallowed my pride (and opened my wallet) and called the installer to ask him to move the bend down to the fireplace so we could have a larger mantle. See the pics for the 3000 word version... (also moving the bend down made it take up slightly less room in the room above...)

Attachments

• delta-3.jpg
    delta-3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • delta-4.jpg
    delta-4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 491
  • delta-5.jpg
    delta-5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 570
OK, that solves the mystery of how you managed to have such a small chimney breast it the final result. I was worried about CTC, especially with the wood studs. I chose to use metal studs on mine, not just because of flamability but also concerned about the wood shrinking over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.