RSF Opel 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbdisco

Nov 14, 2015
Tennessee
i have recently built a new house and put in an Opel 2. I have just started burning and have mixed results. I am burning hickory that I got from a local handle factory. The wood is all kiln dried chunks about the size of a hammer handle. I am trying to be cautious about over loading the firebox. The fireplace works great but I can only get about 2hrs of burn time in about 8 hammer handle size chunks. They are about 16" long and 2" square. I am pretty well sure I could add more but I really don't want to overfire. There are no temp gauges in the fireplace for me to look at so I am just staring at the flue pipe on top of the fireplace and looking for it to glow (which it hasn't). Am I being too cautious? I have read about people loading these full to the top with seasoned wood, but I really don't want a runaway. Any advice? Thanks

Small stuff burns up quickly. You are right to be careful. Can you get any other wood to mix in? If those were 6" thick hickory splits the fire would burn all day.

Don't really have anything else seasoned. I had bought the hickory scraps to get me by this winter while I split stuff for next year. I do have some white oak that I have cut from around January this year but since I have been building my house I never had time to split it.

Last edited:
Maybe call around and see if you can get some seasoned or kiln dried wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.