RSF Opel 3 New Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
For the past couple months, we (the boss and I) have been discussing installing a wood burning fireplace in the living rm with the option to duct the hot air to the rooms (bed and bath) at the far end of the house, plus a vent for the basement. Called a number of contractors to get quotes but only three responded with a quote after the site visit (two for the RSF Opel 3 and one for the BIS Tradition). Both Napoleon vendors were never heard from again. We ended up accepting the quote from with a local contractor and the RSF Opel 3.

Originally, we were going to have a separate duct system installed (separate from the existing forced air ductwork) but when the guys came to install, they found a way to hook up to the forced air plenum (had to cut and move a couple of water pipes) so we're going to try that route. So long as it meets our goals of heating those rooms, I'm happy with whatever route they take. Ordered the central heating blower, the thermostatic control for same and grills for top and bottom (don't like louvers). We would have preferred the clean face look but that would have required the gravity vents which we didn't really want.

Prequel

The location of the fireplace and chimney. The wall behind the speaker will be cut back 2' to make more room in the dining area when we have guests over and the table is pulled out. Been driving us nuts for years. Time to go! Fireplace will go in the corner at an angle of roughly 15-20*. A wood box will be constructed on the RHS of the fireplace.

IMG_6786Small.jpg
IMG_6787Small.jpg

Day 1

Unit and crew arrive. Unit is raised up about 7" and will be flat faced wall to ceiling with a step-back at the mantle. By the end of the day, they had the unit and chimney in place, basic electrical run, water pipes to kitchen re-routed to make room for hot air duct, cold air duct run but not hooked up to outside or to unit and hot air duct installed to basement.

IMG_6788Small.jpg
IMG_6789Small.jpg
IMG_6792Small.jpg

IMG_6791Small.jpg
IMG_6790Small.jpg

Day 2

All about that wall. Electrical had to be moved, one cold air return flipped to the other side of the wall, another closed off... fairly intensive just doing that. The drywall and corner beads were on when they left. Didn't take a pic today.

Day 3

Back to the fireplace. Today, they made it burnable. The drywall guy came in to put the first mud on the alterations made to the wall. Cold air fully hooked up, more electrical wire run, thermostat wire run to MBR (the coldest room in the house), all framing complete, drywall facing on (top panel left with one screw for the inspector to remove and have a look at the chimney clearances), rock retainer screen installed. With a piece of tin on the floor and the carpet cut back for later installation of tile, it was ready to fire up!

IMG_6793Small.jpg
IMG_6794Small.jpg

IMG_6795Small.jpg
IMG_6797Small.jpg

IMG_6798Small.jpg
IMG_6800Small.jpg

Day 4

More mud work, basically, it's paintable now. As well, more electrical work done, central blower and thermostat + relay installed but final hookup to plenum is not complete. Guys came and went in the AM and PM as they had other jobs.

IMG_6879Small.jpg
IMG_6882Small.jpg

IMG_6883Small.jpg

No work this week, but the inspector came Mon and passed the framing. Next Wed they're scheduled to come and do the plenum hookup and start the rock work. We lit the fire last Thu after receiving the word that it was ready and it's not gone out since. Quite a bit of haze in the air the first night as the paint and oils cooked but now it's just nice burning. I did order the cat option this week. Originally, I wasn't going to bother, but I don't like seeing all that good smoke go up the chimney (the Regency burns clean so I believe any other wood burner should as well) and it should allow the unit to throw out a bit more heat as well (heating being the primary objective).

I will likely take the top panel off and seal the heat duct (with al. foil tape, not Red Green tape) before they seal up that cavity for good.

Check out a slideshow of all pics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.