RSF Opel Cat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blowhard

Nov 25, 2009
AB, Canada
I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy an RSF Opel III, the other choice being a RSF Delta. With the Opel does anyone have experience with the catalytic converter? My understanding is that I'll get less creosote and longer burn times. I have to buy my wood so getting more heat out the wood is important. I'll be burning primarily spruce/pine as harder woods (birch/larch) are double the price. Thanks!

My opinion or best educated guess, the only reason RSF offers a cat is because they are required in some areas. According to their literature these units omit less emissions without the cat installed. The fact that no one on this forum has ever admitted to having one (that I can find) I think kinda backs me up on that.

I had a chat with tech support at RSF and burnt2perfection was correct. RSF only recommends it for installs that require EPA status. The fireplace actually does burn cleaner without the cat installed! So much for my theory that I could get better overnight burns with the Cat. If my area ever does require EPA status the cat can be installed at a later date thru the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.