RSF Opel II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Pro

Oct 30, 2008
SE Minnesota
Hello everyone I'm looking at purchasing the RSF Opel III and was looking for feedback/reviews from owners. Also wondering what is a fair price to pay for the fireplace itself? I'm also considering adding the central heating kit and distributing the heat throughout my whole home, any input would be appreciated. Thanks

My bil just installed an Opel 2 in his new home.It's a good lookin' fireplace with a generous firebox(3.6sq.ft. I believe).He hasn't burned in it yet but it looked well-built to my eyes.

I know two people with the largest RSF stove (can't remember the name but it is the one that is huge). They love it. Never met anyone that has hooked up the vents and such.
Good luck. Nice looking stove.

Hello,

I got an Opel wood stove installed in my new house five years ago. It is hooked up to my ducts running everywhere in my house (using a seperate fan to blow the hot air). I've been using it to heat my house every winter and I'm very satisfied. I've got a 2400 sq-ft house and I start firing the Opel in December through end of March. Some winter I can use only 6 or 7 cords of wood, but 4 years ago I use almost 9 cords of wood. I guess it depends on how warm you want your house and how cold the winters are (in Montreal, we can have -30 oC for a full week in January-February. I burn mostly maple and hickory, split in May or June and dried throughout summer.

Cheers!

André

I installed an RSF in my former home. Had to go with the smaller Onyx because of clearance in an alcove. Used the central blower option and it heated the whole house. The SS chimney ran up the center of the house in a vented chase and it helped to heat the upstairs.

When I built my current home, I thought of moving up to the Opal but the wife didn't like the arched double doors so we put in another Onyx. I should have gone with the Opal for overnight burns and it's a challenge with the Onyx not to build up too much coals when it's -40 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.