RTV and installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra1365

Jan 9, 2011
Delaware
Is it recommended to use RTV around the exhaust pipe "inside" the house where the stove joins the exhaust pipe?

I have a straight through the wall 3inch exhaust setup and my stove pushes into that pipe. I am wondering if I should run a bead of RTV around the stove pipe before connecting it to the exhaust pipe? I'm thinking yes, but that would make moving the stove for future cleaning a real PITA...But, if I don't, I run the risk of fumes being blown back into the house, no?

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

When I bought my stove the dealer said to seal every piece of the vent pipe with then RTV except the one connected directly to the stove. From what I have read here, most people do and will probably say I'm taking a risk, but I have never sealed that connection. I've never had a problem with smoke or fumes and never had the CO detector go off. Just my 2 cents and I am not suggesting you do the same, only relaying my experience.

I am guilty of using the wrong sealant. I would recommend using Rutland silicone sealant. It's designed for stoves. I used a high temp sealant off the shelf at the big box stores and it turned to cement, didn't flex and didn't seal. Can't get the pipes apart now. You definately want a silicone sealant that will flex with the temp changes. If I'm not mistaken RTV is for automotive use. It really stinks too. The Rutland doesn't smell anything like the RTV and it's about the same price.

Turbo-quad is correct. I did not use RTV, but a high temp silicone specifically for vent pipe. It came from the stove dealer. It stays pliable and with some effort is removable if necessary to clean, etc.

I would always use RTV on the inner liner for all connections. The one at the stove absolutely needs RTV on it. Put your bead of RTV on, assemble the pipe and then pull it back apart and make sure the RTV isn't wiping off and is sealing around the entire circumference of the pipe.

Depending on your connection at the stove, it's actually easier to reach down the pipe and swab the RTV on the inside after installing the pipe on the stove. This makes disassembly at a later date much easier.

You can use Orange Permatex RTV from your local Auto Parts store. That's all the stuff at stove shops is, just in different packaging with a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.