RTV Silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideboard147

Feb 2, 2011
Weatherford Texas (DFW)
Can you put Rutland RTV inside the pipe? I have a bad smoke leak problem at the stove adapter, and last year I put so much silicone on the stove adapter to the stove I cant seem to get if off now. When I pulled the rest of the pipe and looked inside the adapter with a flashlight I notice some of the silicone made it to the edge where the adapter and the stove meets, but it is not sealed good enough. I can see where smoke can escape. My question is can I just seal up where the red arrows are pointing at? I know there is back RTV showing but I had no idea it went that for or if this is ok to do. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• pellet stove.jpg
    pellet stove.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 577
I am thinking it is band aid for a larger problem. I am curious to hear what the more experienced folks have to say.

Its max temp is 500, and would think that close to the stove, it might not help on the inside. Time for a new section of pipe IMHO.

It has to be cleaned up and you need to check what appears to be some damage (crimping, bending) in several spots.

Then consult the vent manufacturer's installation manual. They rule.

You may be able to get the stove adapter off of the stove, remove the screws, and apply heat to the adapter, be certain to watch the torch and use a flame spreader.

You may have to remove various parts from the stove in order to do this.

[quote author="SmokeyTheBear" date="1320463527"]It has to be cleaned up and you need to check what appears to be some damage (crimping, bending) in several spots.

Are you talking about the black RTV that is showing? I just looked inside there again and it seems like a perfect round section, I dunno if the angle of the pic or something is throwing it off. I will just buy a new stove adapter and start over. Any advice on how to do it right the next go around to solve leaking problems?

rideboard147 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
It has to be cleaned up and you need to check what appears to be some damage (crimping, bending) in several spots.

Are you talking about the black RTV that is showing? I just looked inside there again and it seems like a perfect round section, I dunno if the angle of the pic or something is throwing it off. I will just buy a new stove adapter and start over. Any advice on how to do it right the next go around to solve leaking problems?

You should get an instruction sheet with the pipe, just follow it.

I know my eyes are old but I'd take another really good look that that pipe just below those arrows on the left hand side and at about 10 o'clock.

SmokeyTheBear said:
rideboard147 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I know my eyes are old but I'd take another really good look that that pipe just below those arrows on the left hand side and at about 10 o'clock.

I am reading my book right now that came with the pipe and I am not finding much other then just attach the adapter on the rear flue of the stove.Kinda vague. I have simpson dura PV. Thanks for the help I am also searching on the site for some more info. I will look at the pipe again

rideboard147 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
rideboard147 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I am reading my book right now that came with the pipe and I am not finding much other then just attach the adapter on the rear flue of the stove.Kinda vague. I have simpson dura PV. Thanks for the help I am also searching on the site for some more info. I will look at the pipe again

Code generally requires both mechanical fasteners and sealant unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. In addition since local jurisdictions can make things stricter (normally they don't, but some have) even those pellet pipes that only require mechanical fasteners must be handled with care by contacting your code enforcement folks.

The usual method of attaching an adapter is to liberally coat the outside of the stove's exhaust pipe with sealant and then insert the adapter until seated. At which point you apply a little sealant where you are going to insert the machine screws, seat the screws, and smooth the sealant at the end of where the adapter slides over the stove exhaust. This will result in a nice gas tight seal. Then you have the pieces that make up the venting. Some of these have seal rings and don't normally require sealant, some don't and those require sealant on the end that goes into any slots, this sealant should be on the outside of the inner portion of the inner pipe. Look at how the pipe goes together. You do not want any sealant on the inside of the inner pipe because it will interfere with the air flow through the venting. Now some venting may have other requirements. It also pays to seal the outside of the saddle of a tee because of stresses placed on it.

if it were me, id run a bead of caulk around the outside seam and then wrap it with foil tape a few times. thats what i would do. that will seal it up and it obviously isnt going to come apart because its stuck.

Yes, put RTV inside the pipe. Make sure it's high-temp stuff like the orange stuff you find at auto-parts stores.

Well I pulled the stove adapter finally after using a hair dryer to heat it up. Took about a hour! I have a new one on the way and will hopefully solve this very annoying issue. I did notice I have two pilot holes for screws and used only one. Most likely my leak that I kept seeing. I am ready to get this stove running!

I used RTV on the inside of the double wall of my stove adapter just as added insurance

AZ Pellet Guy said:
I used RTV on the inside of the double wall of my stove adapter just as added insurance

I was going to that, but as someone said it's like putting a big band aid on.I made up my mine to re do it. I am glad I did since I found the other pilot hole that I did not know about. I dunno how I missed that! Do you have duravent>? I can see RTV on the inside that was factory when brand new so I assume it's ok to put my own high temp RTV inside it too. I don't see in the manual where this is not allowed.

rideboard147 said:
Well I pulled the stove adapter finally after using a hair dryer to heat it up. Took about a hour! I have a new one on the way and will hopefully solve this very annoying issue. I did notice I have two pilot holes for screws and used only one. Most likely my leak that I kept seeing. I am ready to get this stove running!

Yes that is likely your leak and it is a PITA when things aren't installed correctly. Most stove makers require three screws through the adapter and into the exhaust.

Be sure to apply sealant to the area that the screw heads will snug up against when you put the new adapter on.

Other causes of leaks in previously non leaking installations is deflection of a clean out tee or elbows opening up sealant or seals when cleaning the stove.

rideboard147 said:
AZ Pellet Guy said:

I was going to that, but as someone said it's like putting a big band aid on.I made up my mine to re do it. I am glad I did since I found the other pilot hole that I did not know about. I dunno how I missed that! Do you have duravent>? I can see RTV on the inside that was factory when brand new so I assume it's ok to put my own high temp RTV inside it too. I don't see in the manual where this is not allowed.

It's not a band-aid. Smearing it on the inside is the best way to seal the pipes but not always possible once the pipes are together.

Duravent says one screw per connection is fine. This is what is reqired at the stove connection but if the rest of your pipes are twist-lock then you need not use any screws.

Checkthisout said:
rideboard147 said:
AZ Pellet Guy said:

Duravent says one screw per connection is fine. This is what is reqired at the stove connection but if the rest of your pipes are twist-lock then you need not use any screws.

I see that is says its optional on the screws for joints. What page are you seeing about the stove adapter? I bought the stove used so I guess the previous owner used two screws. I have two holes in the flue.

rideboard147 said:
Checkthisout said:
rideboard147 said:
AZ Pellet Guy said:

I see that is says its optional on the screws for joints. What page are you seeing about the stove adapter? I bought the stove used so I guess the previous owner used two screws. I have two holes in the flue.

The mating of stove adapter to other vent pipe is controlled by the vent manufacturer, at the stove the stove manufacture covers that connection.

That connection is extremely important as there is no locking mechanism read your stove installation manual and see at what point they tell you to use the vent makers instructions.

You should look at your local code, stove manual, vent manual and use the most restrictive of all of them. That way they are all happy.

SmokeyTheBear said:
rideboard147 said:
Checkthisout said:
rideboard147 said:
AZ Pellet Guy said:

The mating of stove adapter to other vent pipe is controlled by the vent manufacturer, at the stove the stove manufacture covers that connection.

That connection is extremely important as there is no locking mechanism read your stove installation manual and see at what point they tell you to use the vent makers instructions.

You should look at your local code, stove manual, vent manual and use the most restrictive of all of them. That way they are all happy.

I am reading over all of it. What A pain in the ass this has become, lol

rideboard147 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
rideboard147 said:
Checkthisout said:
rideboard147 said:
AZ Pellet Guy" date="1320545869 said:

I am reading over all of it. What A pain in the ass this has become, lol

Not really, I'm sure it feels that way, but better to know then to have to revisit the matter latter.

Oh I didn't read your manual, just going by what I have read in a large number of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.