Rubber roofing - what to cut it with?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Whoop, whoop! Scored some used rubber roofing to cover my stacks with next winter. I'm thinking the original piece is around 26' x 24' or larger (pieced together, glued). I've got to cut this down to around 5' x 16' pieces for my stacks and ease in hauling/lifting it.

Question: Cut with utility knife or what? We've also got sheet metal shears (straights, lefts and rights) or a pair of bull snips - or take all of the above and see what works best?

Big Chainsaw!

smokinjay said:
Big Chainsaw!

LMFAO I knew you'd probably say 880 :lol:

Ha! Would that I could! Seriously, the reason I ask is I have never dealt with rubber roofing. All I can tell you if this stuff is thick and it's going to be heavy to lift.

Hubby just chimed in and said we should be cutting strips around 4' x 16' - I have no idea what a piece like that would weigh... I have to be able to lift it, hubby can't.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Big Chainsaw!

LMFAO I knew you'd probably say 880 :lol:

Or that little husky version. Cant rember the #'s on it! lol

i was in the same boat as you back in 99. took all it could for 2 men to "pour it" into my hatchback car after it had been folded a number of times to get it home.
anyhoo, used utility knife with fresh blade...worked great! laid it on the lawn and had at it. if it is on a paved driveway, use some old plywood scraps under the knife blade.
good luck with horsing it around!! ( er, son?? can you stop by today to do mom a favor??)

My immediate thought would be a utility knife, but if thick a sharp linoleum knife may be best. If really tough, maybe use the brother-in-law's Sawzall. ;)

Hmmm... we have a sawzall.

Also forgot to mention I'm picking up 4'x8' sheets of used plywood from the same place. All free, plywood and roofing. Nice!

Shari said:
Hmmm... we have a sawzall.

Also forgot to mention I'm picking up 4'x8' sheets of used plywood from the same place. All free, plywood and roofing. Nice!

atta girl!!! a woman after my own heart!! good score

Thanks, Nate - going to Ace Hardware to check it out. They only have one set left and they set it aside for me.

Sorry for the thread drift here. From Smokin' Jay...."Skin that one up pilgrim, And I will get you another…"

I'm thinking that's from Jeremiah Johnson? Specifically, Bearclaw Grislap talking to Jerimiah (Robert Redford)? If I'm right, I'm also crazy to know that!!

jdinspector said:
Sorry for the thread drift here. From Smokin' Jay...."Skin that one up pilgrim, And I will get you another…"

I'm thinking that's from Jeremiah Johnson? Specifically, Bearclaw Grislap talking to Jerimiah (Robert Redford)? If I'm right, I'm also crazy to know that!!

Yep Funniest stuff ever!

That pair of scissors in the kitchen drawer will cut it just fine. I cut it with scissors all of the time.

Further deviation from my own post: Anybody watch "Mounted in Alaska"? Taxidermy at it's finest!

Back on topic: Going to look at the roofing tool Nate suggested.

In the business we use sizzors. hosehold type will work. A utility razor Knife will also work but is not used in roofing becouse it's to easy to poke a hole where you don't want it and almost impossible to find.

I was thinking scissors wouldn't work as this stuff seems really thick - guessing something just around 1/4"+/-. I know nothing about rubber roofing other than to say this stuff came off a flat roofed garage so maybe it's thicker stuff and acted as a walkable outdoor deck for the second story of the house.

If Its edpm sizzors work great. If not, it's not rubber roofing that I know of. I use heavy duty sizzors becouse off glue ,but reguler will work fine in your situation.

Yup, but they also work well to cut thick rubber and canvas as well.

We just used scissors to cut and it worked great. Just start the cut with the scissors and then all you have to do is push the scissors along. Very easy to do.

Okay, troops, I'm taking a variety of tools with me today which should get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.