Rubber roofing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I just got a nice piece of rubber roofing for $50, 12' x 25'. I'm finishing a wood shed and wanted to use it for the roof. I'll be able to cut a single piece for the whole thing (and have some left over to cover woodpiles with) Any suggestion on how best to attach it? I'd be applying directly to basic particle sheathing. Prefer not to glue but will if I have to.

Welll...12 by 25 turns out to be 10 by 16... Hmm, poor guy's probably been dissapointing women his entire life too. :eek:hh: So it's a little small for the roof I'm covering but figure it'll cover 4 nice cords of free standing wood for years to come :)

Depending on your shed size, no problemo. You can cut it and have a seam in it to make up for what it is short.
Go to your local buidling supply house that sells rubber(EPDM) roofing products.
You'll need about a 2-1/2 gallon can of membrane adhesive (yellow glue as we call it), and a gallon of seam glue(black glue).
You can buy the least expensive stuff. Both are basically industrial strength contact cement. Make sure all the nails in the plywood decking(just assuming its plywood) are nailed down so they are not protruding.
Also make sure there are no big splinters etc. poking up that could penetrate the rubber. Cut your rubber to fit, leave like an extra foot all around the perimeter. Lay out the main pc in place. (best on a non windy day).
fold it in 1/2 on top of itself. Glue (with yellow) the decking you just uncovered by folding it, and the top portion of the fold that will lay back over onto the deck when you unfold it. You dont need it real thick. Especially on a cloudy day.
Use a 9" roller or larger if ya have larger. mix the glue real good, coat it both surfaces evenly with no large runs, streaks or globs. let it set up, you should be able to touch it with you finger and not have it stick to you finger or smear. The its ready. Make sure not to move it out of position during the entire process, or it will run out crooked. grab the end and gently flap some air underneath it. Then just push basically push(gliding on the air between the fold) it back over onto the glued decking. Its real easy if you at least have an idea how to do it. Once its down, take a shop broom and broom the entire surface. then secure the perimeter either wrapping around to the underside of the decking somewhere and terminating, or get the flashing made for it and run edge metal along the perimeter and flash it properly.

If you decide to go this route and need better instructions or help, just lemme know. I put miles of this sheet down during my roofing years, and its very simple when ya have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.