Ruh Roh, George. Did I Miscalculate Insert Size W/ Surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Pacific Energy "Pacific" insert

http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_insert_pacific.php

Going in here (?)
PIC00004-1.jpg

I was told at the dealers that the heatalator (sp) vents would still function even with the fully relined chimney. I really like that idea.

Problem that I'm seeing now, after measuring for the new tile front & hearth, is that with the insert surround the unit is 42 3/4" . The space between the 2 bottom intake vents is 40" to the metal for attaching the grates (yes, I have the grates).

Can the surround be trimmed? I don't see that in the manual

http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/PACINSD1 270706-20.pdf

Can the surround sit over the grates? I have doubts here, and erring on the side of caution.

Can I cover the heatalator vents with the porcelin tile and/or use hardi back under the tile, and eliminate that passive system? And still be safe?

I don't think the Vista is big enough to do what I want to do heatwise. But I noticed that the Vista surround would fit the area, but would it fit the insert? I doubt it. The Summit insert surround is bigger by 6".

I'm sure I'll be calling the dealer and/or the installer tomorrow, but wanted a totally unbiased opinion, or 2, or 3.

I've already put the deposit down on the Pacific, too. But I doubt using that deposit for something else if need be, at this time of year, would not be a problem.

Why not stack a brick on each of the 2 lower ones soldier style to add the 2 inches plus the mortar joint to make up the difference? Not ideal but would work.

I could deal with that, not a problem. Thank you !! I wanted a totally "clean slate" thoughts !!

But what about the grates?

27ruthlane.jpg

There are metal rims around the vents, with a screw hole so the vents can be attached. Drill into the brick? and cut the grate? Get new grates made? I can deal with an empty space for awhile.

Looks like the Jotul C350 will fit, but less fire power.
http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood inserts (USA)/Jøtul C 450 Kennebec/Manual_C_450_011005.pdf

Pg 6.

boliglava.gif

Trim the grates, the surround should hold it, worst case scenario you can pick up some new ones, maybe something really cool made up like wrought iron vines, horse head, fire, what ever you can think of. The vents will only be a secondary heat anyway. Honestly I wonder how much you will pull out of them? If they do work will it pull too much heat out to cool the chimney? I am just throwing some different ideas out there. You could close them up with a brick, go over the whole thing with ledgestones and leave slots in them as well. The possibilites are endless!!!

Those vents aint going to do what you think they are. I have the same set up with a larger heatilator, and all the vents ever did was let cooler air from the mortar around them vent into the room. Blocked mine up.
With yours being closer to the fire box, it might let some heat out. If its an exterior chimney I'll bet its more colder air then warmer.

Trim the grates, the surround should hold it, worst case scenario you can pick up some new ones, maybe something really cool made up like wrought iron vines, horse head, fire, what ever you can think of. The vents will only be a secondary heat anyway. Honestly I wonder how much you will pull out of them? If they do work will it pull too much heat out to cool the chimney? I am just throwing some different ideas out there. You could close them up with a brick, go over the whole thing with ledgestones and leave slots in them as well. The possibilites are endless!!!

[Honestly I wonder how much you will pull out of them?/quote] With the FP only, the room was 10+ degrees warmer than with out the fireplace, even with the heat loss. That is why I am very fond of the idea of them still passively working :coolsmile:

If they do work will it pull too much heat out to cool the chimney?
Chimney is getting fully relined, and is in the center of the house

HOUSELAYOUT61408.jpg

located in the room in the center of the house, marked "bedroom 19 '6" X 11' 2" ". The FP is between the 2 openings on both sides.

Wow, that opens alot of possibilities! Would brass grates work? *head/desk* "course they would... This could get interesting !

This is the main tile for the new facade

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=88574-34692-G1TG11&lpage=none

We've got some accent tiles, and larger tiles for the hearth area. It's my daughters design, I'd have to get the final layout of tile from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.