Ruh Roh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Pretty windy today with some good gusts. I had just gone into one of the bedrooms at the back of the house when I heard a loud thud.
Looked out the window to see this. I KNEW I should have taken this Spruce down about 3 years ago.
I only saw one of my wife's goats, so I went to check. Part of the fence and one post down, and the goat (Midnight) was fine. Minimal damage.
Soooo, more shoulder wood!! WooHoo!

Attachments

• sprucedown1.jpg
    sprucedown1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 651
  • sprucedown2.jpg
    sprucedown2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 629
gives new meaning to "free delivery". glad the goat is ok, them suckers are cute.

Delta-T, I like the "free" delivery too. If only the wind had knocked all the branches off too, ......yeah right.
Midnight is a Nigora, which is half Nigerian, half Angora, and black, which kinda' explains the name. Real friendly.
Guess I know what I'm doing for a while tomorrow.

yooper, I've heard of those, and seen videos too. Not these guys. Nothing seems to bother them.
When we were having that -10 spell recently, I took the dogs out and found the goats laying in the snow. They have their winter coats on now.

It's also windy here. I came home to find another standing dead pine broke about 6' up leaning on another healthy pine. I have a bunch of standing dead to cut but keep putting it off. I think I'm going to plan on having them all on the ground by spring now since dealing with the hung up ones is a lot tougher than falling them when they're standing. I just don't need 5 cords of pine! Oh well I'll give it away to friends for their camp fires. :lol:

I'm wondering if the cold spell we had and then the sudden thaw made the trees brake easier. We did have some 35mph gusts but when the tree went on my tractor I don't think the wind was over 25mph or less. We had alot worse wind a couple weeks ago. A few years ago I was driving down a road and looked down a side street and saw a 24in beech fall right acoss the road. NO wind at all. I guess it was just time.
leaddog

Dave, glad there was no damage. Lesson learned? If tree needs cutting, don't put it off too long.

PapaDave it's been real windy up here since last night, lost power about 12:00 last night then it came back on about 3:00 am. Today has been real windy with whiteouts, looks like next weekend will be my first chance to get back in the woods and look for some blow down.

Zap

Windchill tonight -17

Delta-T said:
gives new meaning to "free delivery". glad the goat is ok, them suckers are cute.

Down here, we barbecue goats the Mexican way. What they call "cabrito." If you've never eaten goat you should try it.

It's not bbbaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddd!

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, glad there was no damage. Lesson learned? If tree needs cutting, don't put it off too long.
Yeah, but I don't always KNOW when they need to come down. I've got a couple more that I'll have to take down this year, but these spruce have a TON of branches.
Got all that mess cut up just a few minutes ago. Did a temp fix on the fence too. Now, I just have to do something with all the branches. Oh, and still need to take down the trunk that's still standing.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where the face cut needs to be on this tree?
If you look at the 2nd pic, I'd like to put the tree opposite from where the pic was taken, but it's got a nice little lean to the left.
If I cut almost directly opposite from where the top fell, does it look like it will fall to the left of the house?
Any suggestions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.