Rule of thumb when shorted on delivered firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I ordered a cord of seasoned mixed hardwood and just finished stacking it. The splits are 16". I have two stacks 4'x8' and a 3rd stack well under half what it needs to be. I'm estimating I have 3/4 cord. I had already posted that I was pleased with the MC. I had asked about the policy if it is a short load while talking to the driver. She said it rarely happens but that in those rare instances they come back out. I'm not a complainer and would tend to let a little short go. I think it misses by enough to make the call tomorrow but am a newbie and wanted to get opinions since I suspect there are pros on the site. Sorry for the poor lighting. The two stacks next to the short one are 46-48" tall and 8' long. There are some BTU's in that void. Thanks!

Attachments

• Rule of thumb when shorted on delivered firewood?
    woodpile.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 428
1) Contact seller and see what they do about it.
1a) Keep wood stacked to allow them to measure if needed....
2) Wait
3a) If they make good, be happy and call them again
3b) If they don't make good, don't call them again.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It happened to my son and they brought out extra on his next delivery. They did make it good and a reputable
Business will.

Agree with all above. Call and talk with owner/manager and explain your side. The wood is great to have seasoned but you shorted me. I planned, even if you don't, on further purchases from you but, this will not happen unless made right. I assume this is the same wood from your other thread? Good luck!

Under a measure signed into law by Gov. Tom Ridge earlier this year, sellers of firewood must provide more detailed receipts. For instance, if a cord of wood is represented as being oak or cherry, the invoice must include that detail. Richard LeBlanc, president of the Pennsylvania Association of Weights and Measures, said officials want to ensure accountability among firewood purveyors, many of whom are small or temporary operators. That includes providing receipts that list the seller's name, address and the quantity of wood sold. According to a previously enacted law, stove and fireplace wood can only be sold by the cord -- 128 cubic feet -- or fraction of a cord. It cannot be sold by some other, nebulous quantity such as a "truckload" or "pile." One exception is a smaller, prepackaged bundle size sold at campsites or convenience stores....... Did you receive any paper work with the purchase? As stated above any reputable seller will most likely correct the shortages. If you used a "fly by night" operation, remember for future reference to look for someone with a reputation to uphold.

Last edited:
Same wood, Gunny. I asked the same "rule of thumb" question there but didn't get a reply since I'm sure thread on a report of some rookie's firewood buy is not an attention grabber for most. The only paperwork was my online receipt,Slim. It just ID'd the purchase as a cord of firewood. I don't think they are fly-by-night and will be very surprised if all is not right in the end. Everything about the experience was better than expected but the amount of wood. When it is right I'll be happy to post the name of the supplier.

Totally understand Andy but you just posted this yesterday so just be patient. Some members do not sign in every day. You still should print out receipt at home and that IS A receipt. Did you call them in the meantime? That is important because the company will assume you are hiding something by waiting too long. LIKE WOOD, OR JUST BURNT THE OTHER PORTION. I would have called the minute you finished stacking it.

Followed up via phone to my email and was told that email pic would be forwarded to yard manager and missing wood will be sent over.Thanks for feedback, everyone.

Glad you're dealing with a reputable dealer. Out here the name of the wood game seems to be short people as much as possible. Looking forward to doing my own cutting next year so I can stop dealing with the thieves that pose as firewood dealers out here.

One thing I will mention, and I think you are getting good advice, is the wood in the criss cross stacks will make your total volume off. A cord of wood should all be stacked like you have it in between the criss cross's. Funny thing is the criss cross actually creates more air space so would normally make you feel like you had more not less. I use the metal fence stakes you pound in the ground to support the ends of my piles. Cheap, easy to insall and moveable later.

Sounds like you are dealing with one of the "good guys". Build a relationship. Its good to have.

Glad you're dealing with a reputable dealer. Out here the name of the wood game seems to be short people as much as possible. Looking forward to doing my own cutting next year so I can stop dealing with the thieves that pose as firewood dealers out here.

Same near me. They always say they will drop more off, but never do. It is all about making a buck now and not a repeat customer.

Good wood dealers are hard to find. I know there are a lot of good dealers on this forum, but I have never had good luck with new wood dealers, ever. Seasoned?, oh sure it is, 18"? yup right around 18. Except its green and 14-16" The only time I get what I asked for is with family or friends. Its also a reason I bit the bullet two years ago and bought a year ahead.

Happy to report that the wood was waiting for me when I got home from work. I have not yet stacked it but I am positive that it is more than enough to complete the cord. I'll thank the dealer for making it right, of course. Also... I'm not sure about the site's policy on posting business names so I'll just make an offer for anyone in the central part of Bucks County, PA to private me a message and I will send along the name. I'll amend this post with the name if I learn it is OK.

Attachments

• Rule of thumb when shorted on delivered firewood?
    firewood.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: AmarilloSlim
A nice phone call to the guy, and telling him you'll be a repeat customer I'm sure would be appreciated. Now, if every year you have to make a call to get the right amount.. might be different. I wouldn't expect him to deliver over what you bought.. but he shouldn't be perpetually under either.

Glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: Andy S.
Hey Andy, good for you! Problem solved, I would use that supplier from now on. Maybe his yard guys loaded the wrong amount, lazy, don't care. Seasoned wood and proper amount, sounds like they have found a future customer.

I ordered a cord of seasoned mixed hardwood and just finished stacking it. The splits are 16". I have two stacks 4'x8' and a 3rd stack well under half what it needs to be. I'm estimating I have 3/4 cord. I had already posted that I was pleased with the MC. I had asked about the policy if it is a short load while talking to the driver. She said it rarely happens but that in those rare instances they come back out. I'm not a complainer and would tend to let a little short go. I think it misses by enough to make the call tomorrow but am a newbie and wanted to get opinions since I suspect there are pros on the site. Sorry for the poor lighting. The two stacks next to the short one are 46-48" tall and 8' long. There are some BTU's in that void. Thanks!

The way I look at these things is that if someone sells you a cord of wood, you expect to get a cord. In my case, I usually attempt to give more rather than less and will most times include kindling wood at no charge. Just good business in my book. Perhaps not as profitable but we're not talking big business here.

Status
Not open for further replies.