Runaway stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chemical_man

Feb 18, 2013
NS, Canada
Well, I hope that all I had earlier is a runaway stove and not the unwanted chimney fire. On a double wall stovepipe, what should the surface temperatures range be at operating T (say flue T of 600F)? It got pretty hot to touch, I closed the air and chucked a piece of wet wood to kill it.
It is now burning itself out and the SP is much much cooler, no sign of damage. I plan on taking it apart tomorrow for inspection.
Any tips of what to look for?

Thanks.

well 600 is to hot for your pipe temp you need to get a probe thermometer for double wall. As far as what to look for mainly warping or separation of the liner. And why would you throw wet wood in to a out of control fire I have never heard of that I don't think it would be that effective.

Reactions: GeHmTS
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about flue temps or stove top temps? For double-wall pipe you need a probe thermometer. Surface temps are inconsistent but I would consider a 600F surface temp on double wall very hot.

How did the stove get into this state? Was it reloaded too early on a very hot coal bed? Small splits?

I consider 500 on single wall pipe too hot. 600 on the outside of double wall is downright scary.

yeah 600 on single wall is to hot but not scary if that was 600 on the outside of double wall wow

well 600 is to hot for your pipe temp you need to get a probe thermometer for double wall. As far as what to look for mainly warping or separation of the liner. And why would you throw wet wood in to a out of control fire I have never heard of that I don't think it would be that effective.
kinda like adding fuel to the fire:ZZZ

I guess I didn't explain that well, sorry about that.

Typical surface temp when things are OK (i.e. controlled fire at 600F).

I might have taken an IR temp, but my mind was racing at that time. Might have been 250F on the surface? It was hotter than usual.

where are you talking about typical temp being 600? on stove top?

where are you talking about typical temp being 600? on stove top?

flue gas I guess (read in manual says 600F). I try to keep stovetop at 400 (except earlier, don't know what happened, too much draft opening for too long).

We are not getting specific answers. That makes it hard to advise. Are you using a magnetic surface thermometer on the double-wall connector pipe or a probe thermometer?

400F on the stove top is a bit cool to run it. Normally it would be over 500F unless the weather is very mild.

We are not getting specific answers. That makes it hard to advise. Are you using a magnetic surface thermometer on the double-wall connector pipe or a probe thermometer?

400F on the stove top is a bit cool to run it. Normally it would be over 500F unless the weather is very mild.

IR thermometer to read surface temps.
The weather has finally warmed up, haven't been taking it too hot lately. This is the first year with it, so I probably still have to learn it. I wasn't sure about drilling a hole in the pipe for a thermometer and was told by brother-in-law and neighbours to keep an eye on this and that..., I'll definitely get that on the list now since the way I have been doing it might not have cut it.

Will look for that. Thanks

Thought I'd update and close this thread. Lessons learned the hard way in this case.

Likely a benign small chimney fire, I'm just happy it did not involve the FD and those extra dollars I spent were worth it. Opened the chimney clean out and ran the brush though, definitely more buildup than I hoped. Removed the interior piping and swept that as well, vacuumed out the stove. Liners were as straight as when installed (better be, they're rated for three 30 minute creosote fires).
I did notice that the installer did not drill out the woodstove adapter liner; when screwing in the screws they ended up pushing/bending inwards rather than securing it to the stove collar... Properly secured it and relit to a nicer ambiance.

Thought I'd update and close this thread.

if you want the thread closed,,,just say something mean about democrats :cool::p

did you get your temp gauges figured out? Post your info and these guys will for sure help you out.

Reactions: splitoak
Politics, always a mood killer!

I've been running hotter, IR gun read 450-550 F on the stovetop. First year with it, I'll chalk it up to learning it's behavior.

Stuff to get this summer include thermometer(s). I like the Condar thermometers,seem to have good reviews. Which would be best: their stovetop model or a probe thermometer? And if getting a probe, install by sealing with high-temp silicone?

The probe thermometer is only for double-wall stove pipe. It is sealed and held in place by a small doughnut shaped magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.