Runaway temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"dont get it red" hell your good to a little over 900 then. :lol:

Usually I go be the fire and not the temperature. Start turning it down in a couple increments. Try about 1/2 once the secondaries start and turning it mostly closed when the fire is fully engaged. You want the secondaries to be lazy and wafting if possible. If the fire starts petering out, open it up a skosh. Fully close is usually by about 400-450F stove top.

@ oldspark... that's what I wanted to hear....when does that usually take place. @ Begreen... that seems to be working pretty well...& already determining which of my wood seems to be dry enough also...cracked ends seems to be dry enough!

mabe i do this backwords, but its worked for me pretty much over the ages. i don't concern myself much about the stove top temp, i use my pipe temps as a guideline. when it gets up too high, i close the damper and draft. when its down to low, i throw another stick on the fire. in between when its cruising in the good range, its just right. i've found that the pipe is normally the thing that catches fire, not the stove as its built to contain the fire, so my concern lies with the pipe.

cass

If your magnet on the thermo is not a magnet no more, then you worry! Both of my stoves have seen temps high enough to send a man running, and that was 3 years ago. (Slow learning curve for the wife).

neumsky said:
@ oldspark... that's what I wanted to hear....when does that usually take place. !
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Temperature_when_metal_glows_red

@ oldspark...that's good stuff thank you. @cass...to me that makes good sense too. @ pineburner...maybe it's that pine that did it haha...yeah...blame it on the wife. I know the way you said it it made me laugh...but it was no laughing matter at the time was it? What's interesting to me is, is I think it's going to be an exciting thing everytime I light the stove! Just wondering I'm sure that every stick is going to have different characteristics.

The paint on the thermometer goes "poof" at around 1125 degrees.

Don't ask. >:-(

Actually BrotherBart the paint started to go poof (peel off around the center) @ 750 degrees as I had the Homesaver on my smoker fire box a week before I installed the stove. I know the instructions on the pkging said if it gets to hot...the magnet may not stick to the metal it's attached to. It did not fall off. Kinda like pineburner stated above. It's like begreen said above...I think I've got a willing pony. Seems as tho...I almost have to run this stove at the lowest setting I have. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have more shutoff capability, than I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.