running a buderus on coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallica21156

Feb 13, 2015
Carroll co
Trying to find out what went wrong. Ive been running it for about 2 weeks on coal. Everything was fine until this weekend when I'd shake it down i wasn't getting much ash and it looked like the coals were middle to top of bed. Yesterday it went out and i had to restart it. It looks like it got a ash clog. Theres not much info on running this thing. Ive been using a soot saw to shake it since theres no grates to. Am I missing something here?

Trying to find out what went wrong. Ive been running it for about 2 weeks on coal. Everything was fine until this weekend when I'd shake it down i wasn't getting much ash and it looked like the coals were middle to top of bed. Yesterday it went out and i had to restart it. It looks like it got a ash clog. Theres not much info on running this thing. Ive been using a soot saw to shake it since theres no grates to. Am I missing something here?
=====================================================================================================
What model Buderus Coal Boiler do you have??

If it is a Buderus G201 I can send you an e-mail with a PDF copy of the boiler instructions.

Please send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send the G2012 manual to you by email.

About your Buderus, you have to be more diligent with the coal fire.
\What happened was that your coal fire and coal clinkers bridged over
and the fire died as the coal was burned up.

Do not hesitate to clean the ashes out more often and poke the fire down
with the ash pit door open and add more coal to the bottom of the loading door.

Do you have a manomometer connected to the flue pipe?

Have you left the damper manual damper fully open?

Last edited:
I downloaded the manual already but it didn't say much about operation. I will check tonight to see exact model but i think design is the same as 201. It does have a barometric damper on it and ive been leaving the manual damper on it wide open. I was worried if i poked it down from the top loading door then itd put the fire out. I cant open the 2 doors that contain the coal due to normally i keep the box almost full.

Also it talks about the ridlering tool. I can find any info on what it looks like. Somewhere i saw someone had said it looked like a fire poker. I've been using the saw under the bed of coal and running it back and forth. Is this right or am i doing it wrong? I do have a manometer connected to the collection box before the manual damper.

You can contact Buderus and find out if the ridlering tool is still available
you always want to poke the coal fire from the bottom to break it down
and let it drop to the grates.

If worse comes to worse you can purchase a piece of 1/4 inch bar stock
and bend a hook long enough to pass through the grates to break the fire up
to let it drop down to allow you to load the boiler.

I've tried using the firw poker to run on the bottom of the bed but my issue is when i pull it to me to try to get it out it gets stuck on the coal and won't come out.

If it gets stuck don't hesitate to use a little persuasion to push the poker down and then pull it out and start over.
If worse comes to worse you can use the ash scoop to push it down from above as long as you have plenty of draft
while you do it to keep the fire roaring along.

Status
Not open for further replies.