Running a liner in an old chimney without existing liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Stickle

Oct 5, 2012
This may have been posted before but I am having trouble finding an answer... So, I have two chimneys in my house, each without any clay or other liner. One has a single wall 6" or so oil burner chimney chased through it. I would like to put a wood burning insert (chase without furnace) and a wood burning stove in the other. What would i need for liners? Can I run a liner in these spaces? I have talked to a couple local stove shops but they seem to be charging to look at it and then a couple thousand for install but online I see triple lined pipe for a few hundred. I am a contractor but have never worked with installing liners within an existing brick "chase". I don't think as far as brick integrity, it should be considered as anything other than a chase. thanks for any info and let me know if you need more information.

My liner was installed into an all brick chimney, no liners. My chimney is an 1880's square (maybe 3'x3') and in fairly good shape. My building inspector told me he would inspect the printed manufacturers guidelines. You should have no problems without a clay liner already in place.

No clay liner is required as long as the liner is insulated. Often the clay has to be removed to make room for the insulated liner. The problem with the class A chimney that you are looking at is: It's very heavy, it can't be properly connected to an insert, and the tee usually won't fit down the chimney. If you used an insulated SS flex liner it could be in the same chase as another appliance, assuming the other appliance has a liner as well.

My chimneys are about 270 years old. The only one that was really dodgy was the living room chimney as that one was sealed up without a fireplace for at least 100 years.

All three chimneys are now lined with 6" liners. The living room chimney, which was potentially weak, was filled with a form of dry cement once the liner was in place. This offered more support for the chimney and also provided some insulation for the liner. This was the most expensive install of the three.

Of the three chimneys, only the summer kitchen/den chimney would be able to accept an 8" liner. But, they all were able to fit 6" liners just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.