running a stainless liner through the fireplace damper ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
The old fireplace has what appears to be a damper that is being propped opened by a piece of ceramic tile.
I'm looking to put a woodstove insert in and will need to have a liner. I'll do the stainless liner, most likely a 6".

My questions are.... do I just prop open this damper and run the liner through it?

How hard is it to remove a damper?

It there a special damper I can install with a 6" opening for the liner?

here's a pic of the damper....pic is upside-down

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 420
We cut enough away to clear the liner. Most cases the fireplace will never be converted back to a heat losing open one again. When I did mine I removed all of the loose parts and cut the cast iron with a radiac.

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0017.jpg

Hi -

I did a similar thing. I had a steel Heat-A-Lator fireplace. I bolted the damper linkage shut and caulked it with silicone. Then I used a cut-off wheel, Sawz-All, and hammer to cut out an oval clearance hole for the 6" rigid liner to go straight up the chimney flue. Worked like a champ. Took about an hour to cut, and an hour to clean up.

ATB,
Mike

They cut mine away enough to get the pipe up when they installed. Go to the This Old House website and search for fireplace insert install or something like that and you will find a video of them putting in an insert from start to finish. They completely tear it out on this one.

f v

Im not sure what my installers did, but they were able to remove my damper as well as fit the liner thru without any cutting or other mods. The liner is slightly ovalized (barely), but most manuals say that is ok, as a flex liner is ovalized to begin with. From looking at it, it looks like a pretty standard damper size, not oversized.

Status
Not open for further replies.