Running a Stove on a Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkins

Minister of Fire
Mar 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Thought I'd ask the experts since something happened that I wasn't expecting.

Have a Champion 4,000 watt surge, 3,500 watt run generator. I had my Quad Mt. Vernon, non AE, plugged in plus our older refrig and 2 lamps. All cords used are 12g. The stove made some loud noises while being run on low and the noise didn't change much if any when we turned the stove up to the 2nd setting. Once we go power back everything ran as normal. We ran the stove for 5 days at about 8 hours per day. The stove functioned as it should other then the increased noise.

Stove was plugged into a surge protector. We saw no fluctuations in the lights so I ruled out uneven power coming from the genny

The stove was much, much louder then it is being run on normal electric. Don't wish to cause any damage to the control box so that is why I'm asking what could of caused this.

Anybody have any ideas?

It sounds like your gen set was not putting out 60 Hz power. The frequency of the power is even more important than the voltage. Most household appliances will run on power anywhere from 110V to 130V with no issues. But if the frequency isn't between 59-61 Hz, you're likely to see (and hear) problems. Motors are designed to work at exactly 60Hz, and the power company does a really good job at keeping this +/-.1 Hz.

I would suggest that you go buy a "Kill-o-watt" P3 unit and check your frequency next time you run the generator. While it is running with no load, adjust the engine speed (there should be a throttle screw near the carburetor) until you get about 62 Hz. When you load the engine, it will drop a little. Go back and re-adjust to exactly 60 Hz when the gen is normally loaded.

Keep an eye on this continually, adjust if the engine loading changes. If you keep the frequency close you should have no problem. This is where a better engine minimizes the adjusting. A good engine will keep the frequency fluctuation to a minimum.

Good luck!

--Kofkorn

It sounds like your gen set was not putting out 60 Hz power. The frequency of the power is even more important than the voltage. Most household appliances will run on power anywhere from 110V to 130V with no issues. But if the frequency isn't between 59-61 Hz, you're likely to see (and hear) problems. Motors are designed to work at exactly 60Hz, and the power company does a really good job at keeping this +/-.1 Hz.

I would suggest that you go buy a "Kill-o-watt" P3 unit and check your frequency next time you run the generator. While it is running with no load, adjust the engine speed (there should be a throttle screw near the carburetor) until you get about 62 Hz. When you load the engine, it will drop a little. Go back and re-adjust to exactly 60 Hz when the gen is normally loaded.

Keep an eye on this continually, adjust if the engine loading changes. If you keep the frequency close you should have no problem. This is where a better engine minimizes the adjusting. A good engine will keep the frequency fluctuation to a minimum.

Good luck!

--Kofkorn

I work in commercial building where motors are run with variable frequency drives. I can vary the frequency up and down and the only thing that happens is the motors slow down or speed up.I don't think you need to have exactly 60 hz. I do believe you need to have a sine wave thats close to what you get from the utility company. A square wave will cause problems in motors.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I don't think I could of heard a hum with the noise coming from the stove. My stove has 4 speeds. When I had the stove on the lowest setting it sounded like it was on the 2nd, or 3rd speed with the combustion blower speed increase to boot. It didn't change very much noise wise to turn the stove up to the 2nd speed. Really not understanding what was going on. The stove burned OK. It was just the large increase in noise.

The stove is operating fine with no louder noises after being on regular electric company current. Whatever the problem was it doesn't seem to have hurt the stove, at least in the short term. Long term is anyones guess.

I will plan on getting a "Kill-O-Watt" meter and will check the stoves power out the next time we have to run it on a genny. Hopefully never again Ha, Ha. I can use the meter for other things and I am surprised I don't own one yet.

I am guessing that you have to have some pretty expensive equipment to check the different wave types? Or is ther some way to tell if that is what the problem might have been?

I don't think I could of heard a hum with the noise coming from the stove. My stove has 4 speeds. When I had the stove on the lowest setting it sounded like it was on the 2nd, or 3rd speed with the combustion blower speed increase to boot. It didn't change very much noise wise to turn the stove up to the 2nd speed. Really not understanding what was going on. The stove burned OK. It was just the large increase in noise.

The stove is operating fine with no louder noises after being on regular electric company current. Whatever the problem was it doesn't seem to have hurt the stove, at least in the short term. Long term is anyones guess.

I will plan on getting a "Kill-O-Watt" meter and will check the stoves power out the next time we have to run it on a genny. Hopefully never again Ha, Ha. I can use the meter for other things and I am surprised I don't own one yet.

I am guessing that you have to have some pretty expensive equipment to check the different wave types? Or is ther some way to tell if that is what the problem might have been?

might be easier to contact the manufacturer of the genny and ask if the unit provides "pure sine wave" power. if so it should be fine, if it provides any "square wave' or "modified sine wave" it may not be "clean enough" power for modern appliances with any type of digital controls

just curious have you guys done any tests trying to fry a board with a generator?

not in quite some time, the description i had was actually from the board's manufacturer, i have spoken with folks in the past who have unwittingly tried to run our units through a genny with a square wave, the board would get "confused" so to speak, droppoing high limit errors when cold, fail to start codes well after its been running normally, cycling room fans , just odd behavior. usually though it doesnt "blow up" the board and the board can be "rebooted" after clean power is available

Ran mine through the aftermath of Sandy on Long Island with no problems at all!
Our power was restored and stove still runs fine.
I have been out hunting for gasoline and or delivering supplies to badly affected areas every day, so I am not online too much.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.