1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Running a Summit

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by James02, Dec 3, 2012.

1. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Ok, this is the first year with the new insert....The problem being, its sorta mild and not much heat is needed on such days....I have the air closed at about 400 and later in the burn cycle its at 650, when that heat isn't needed....I am not packing the box all the way, just 5 or 6 dry oak and at night a BL split. How do i keep it from screaming to 650 when i want a slow 400 burn....tks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i don't have an insert, but i do have a PE Summit free standing down in the basement. i have a damper in my pipe to help slow the burn for those longer needed burns or those days that we don't need all the heat. i don't think you can easily do that for an insert. fortunately, i have a small jotul upstairs in the main living area and that heats most of the house until about the end of December. I've found that on the PE, even when the control/draft lever is on its lowest setting, it can sometimes still burn pretty fast.
    about the only thing you can do is probably use smaller loads = smaller fires, until it gets cold.

cass
  3. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Yea, I was just hoping to get long burn times....Guess there is too much air flowing in the box to be able to control it...
  4. 1jmiii

1jmiii New Member

Loc:
    Baker, NV and Aurora, CO
    Search for EBT and learn about PE's misnamed fire intensifier. When the temperature gets high enough the EBT air valve opens allowing more primary combustion air in causing the fire to get even hotter. In older Summits this was a thermostatic spring controlled device but I have read that newer Summits have a barometric pressure differential sensing device that seems like it would open whenever a hot fire was generating a good draft. Whichever type you have, the problem can be circumvented by blocking of the EBT port on the bottom of the firebox as begreen did.
  5. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    James, try larger splits for reduced temps and longer times. Other than that, you'll need to load less fuel. Right now, I am guessing your wanting that extra heat as the milder outdoor temps are gone, for now at least.