Running a Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Ok, this is the first year with the new insert....The problem being, its sorta mild and not much heat is needed on such days....I have the air closed at about 400 and later in the burn cycle its at 650, when that heat isn't needed....I am not packing the box all the way, just 5 or 6 dry oak and at night a BL split. How do i keep it from screaming to 650 when i want a slow 400 burn....tks!

i don't have an insert, but i do have a PE Summit free standing down in the basement. i have a damper in my pipe to help slow the burn for those longer needed burns or those days that we don't need all the heat. i don't think you can easily do that for an insert. fortunately, i have a small jotul upstairs in the main living area and that heats most of the house until about the end of December. I've found that on the PE, even when the control/draft lever is on its lowest setting, it can sometimes still burn pretty fast.
about the only thing you can do is probably use smaller loads = smaller fires, until it gets cold.

cass

Yea, I was just hoping to get long burn times....Guess there is too much air flowing in the box to be able to control it...

Search for EBT and learn about PE's misnamed fire intensifier. When the temperature gets high enough the EBT air valve opens allowing more primary combustion air in causing the fire to get even hotter. In older Summits this was a thermostatic spring controlled device but I have read that newer Summits have a barometric pressure differential sensing device that seems like it would open whenever a hot fire was generating a good draft. Whichever type you have, the problem can be circumvented by blocking of the EBT port on the bottom of the firebox as begreen did.

Yea, I was just hoping to get long burn times....Guess there is too much air flowing in the box to be able to control it...
James, try larger splits for reduced temps and longer times. Other than that, you'll need to load less fuel. Right now, I am guessing your wanting that extra heat as the milder outdoor temps are gone, for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.