Running an OAK up the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cavermedic

Jun 13, 2008
Southern Vermont
In a recent thread (that was getting a little long), Daves mentioned running an OAK up the chimney. We have a Mt Vernon AE insert and to run an OAK now would be a royal PITA. There are built-ins beside the fireplace and a room behind. Going down, there is more concrete and brick than in Fort Knox.

Can someone tell me the diameter and material for the OAK for the Mt Vernon insert? We ran full vent pipe all the way to the top of the 2-story chimney of our 1929 colonial, but unless the OAK is huge I was thinking it just might fit along side the pipe.

And since that thread said I have to have a pic or my stove doesn't exist, I attached one. The insert barely fit the fireplace opening, and the insert surround fit under the molding with less than an eighth of an inch to spare. It almost looks built in! And the urns full of pellets were the wife's idea - they look better than a bucket and are easier for her to lift than a full bag.

Attachments

• DSC01224.jpg
    DSC01224.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 280
I have a similar dilemma with my Sante Fe in a fireplace that was 1/4" wider than the insert! I had to have the surround custom made by the installer. I plan to run an OAK up the chimney. It will be 3" whereas the opening on the side is less than 2" so I figure 3" will suffice. I have to bend and rivet a stub on the side to which I will fasten a length of 2" automotive heat ducting that is used in older cars to convey exhaust header heat up to the carb. They still carry it at Advance Auto. My piece will be long enough to get outside the back of the stove and up far enough to mate with 3" metal ducting that I've bought in 8' lengths from McMaster Carr. Can't remember the number though and I threw the packaging away. It's all taped together and ready to go once I get the energy to climb on my roof. I plan to do it when I pull out the insert for spring cleaning. Why make 2 messes. :) I have a PVC 180 degree fitting made up for the top of the chimney. That's the only place where I am putting anything combustible and it's 18 feet from the stove.

Just to give you some ideas. have fun.

Nice pic... Love the Urn's. Very unique. I used Coal Hod Buckets. But that seems to be the norm....

An OAK will only help with efficiency. The OAK vent is smaller than your Exhaust venting. Tjnamtiw has some great tips.

Enjoy the heat! ! ! !

This is from the manual --

NOTE: 3 INCH (76mm) ALUMINUM FLEX PIPE NOT INCLUDED.
Tools Needed: Phillips head screw driver; wire cutters; hole saw or jig saw.

Thanks Daves - I figgered I'd be hearing from you. I hadn't gotten around to digging out the manual yet - my wife claims that my philosophy is that directions are to tell you where you went wrong after you've already gone there. Unfortunately, to see if it'll work will require pulling the stove out, which will be a major task considering how tight it fits into the fireplace opening. Sounds like a good excuse to do a serious spring cleaning of the flue, and maybe even time to help the local service dude pay off his new fishing boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.