Running Harman Accentra off generator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdamico

Aug 20, 2013
South Kingstown, RI
Hi all,
Please help a woman out! Need some help with running my Accentra off my Generac 7500. I really don't want to fry my control panel, but looks like there is a blizzard on it's way. Can I run Accentra cord to heavy duty extension cord to safety outlet 'thing' on generator? I am a woman and the hubby is not mechanical-TIA!

[qelectroamico, post: 1881120, member: 28189"]Hi all,
Please help a woman out! Need some help with running my Accentra off my Generac 7500. I really don't want to fry my control panel, but looks like there is a blizzard on it's way. Can I run Accentra cord to heavy duty extension cord to safety outlet 'thing' on generator? I am a woman and the hubby is not mechanical-TIA!
The short answer "Probably." I run mine just fine off my Onan. Have for as much as eight days. First, get a GOOD surge protector. Then I'd recommend a test run. Remember, your Harman will be w/o power for however long it takes you to switch. Check to be sure your natural draft will sustain it w/o smoke in the room for that period. Then swap to genny and test. Better to find out now.

Last edited:
Hi all,
If you're going to try it, test it before the storm, not during the storm. The shorter the cord, the better power. Does your Generac plug into your house with a transfer box? That's a lot safer and probably warmer than running a heavy duty extension cord from stove to generac.

Short answer YES you can run your stove off the generator
When ever the power is out here I run my stove off a power mate 5000
along with a hole lot of other things and have never had a problem
even with my computer

I have a UPS on the stove (APC Smart-UPS 750) and then plug the generator into the UPS. In that way the stove has smooth power and is not interrupted by any momentary outages when hooking up the genny or when refueling.

even with my computer
Not true. Some stoves won't run unless the genny provides a clean sine wave.

I have a good surge protector. Do I keep the stove plugged into surge protector, then extension to generator or stove to extension to surge protector to generator?

Me, I'm totally against trying the stove on the genny to see it it fry's the board. Thats insane. Wait foir the power to fail and the 'road test' it and if it pukes then, then you know.

Just pre order a new board to be safe....._g

even with my computer
Same here I have a harman p35i

Me, I'm totally against trying the stove on the genny to see it it fry's the board. Thats insane. Wait foir the power to fail and the 'road test' it and if it pukes then, then you know.

It won't fry the board, it just won't work. I think waiting for an outage to find out if you have a clean enough wave to run your stove is silly but to each their own. Ain't my house gonna be cold.

It won't fry the board, it just won't work. I think waiting for an outage to find out if you have a clean enough wave to run your stove is silly but to each their own. Ain't my house gonna be cold.

Sure about that?

I have a 52i I bought last year. Power went out for a few days and I ran it on a 4500 watt generator along with my TV, DVD, speakers, modem and refridgerator with no problems. Had a natural draft going until I got the gennie started and plugged the stove in without a hitch. I haven't seen any issues with it this year so I guess I didn't damage the motherboard.
Guess you could say it was dumb luck since I didn't consider that running it off the generator would hurt it.

As I said before, it's "insane" advice to run your test when your house loses power in a blizzard. You run the test, when you can fix it easily, not when you can't get out of the house and have no heat.

Reactions: F4jock
Nevertheless, it's important not to let the generator run out of gas with the load still on. That could cause damage, I believe.

I don't know a lot about different stove brands and I don't know about pure sine generarors BUT I do my Quad MVAE runs great on my Generac. Have done it multiple times for days on end (unfortunately). Yes, I do use a surge protector. Almost everything these days is computer based, TVs, refrigerators, modems, routers dishwasers, etc. I wish I could say they were all on protectors.

I don't know a lot about different stove brands and I don't know about pure sine generarors BUT I do my Quad MVAE runs great on my Generac. Have done it multiple times for days on end (unfortunately). Yes, I do use a surge protector. Almost everything these days is computer based, TVs, refrigerators, modems, routers dishwasers, etc. I wish I could say they were all on protectors.
Yes but as we've said, surge protectors will only help with a major spike. If the OP is having voltage variations in addition to a surge protector a UPS or a voltage regulator is the way to go.

Sure. Freezing your a** off in the dark if it doesn't work is quite "sane."

Status
Not open for further replies.