Running low, I go deep...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
We haven't had a terribly cold winter, but the old Resolute has been humming most every night since late October.

I miscalculated the wood load though. I had a good supply of seasoned oak, and augmented it with one more kiln dried load.

As we have a neighbor who has let the yard go feral, so previtt or whatever you want to call it, along with ivy, invades my wood storage area. I've had a few 45-50F days, I decided to clean it up and retrieve some errant tosses when I last stacked my wood.

I found about a week's worth of good seasoned wood. Cool. Got rid of overgrowth too. Bonus.

After stacking the seasoned wood, I took at look at some massive oak chunks I'd retrieved two years ago. A friend had a massive oak that had been trimmed; the big branches had been down in shade for a year. So, 3 years old, one the ground, two years stacked.

This morning I picked up a big red 12lb Maul. Maybe the best $29 I've spent in a long time.

I took too massive stumps and turned both into Resolute size chunks in short order. Laying on the couch now typing this, I know i did it. I can feel it.

Now I've got ample wood for the next 3 days. Given what remains, I'll get through the cold and into the spring - and starting my wood lot for next starting in late April.

All in all, I love owning and using a wood stove.

I know guys in the city...whenever it storms they go around get a few limbs here and there, before long they have a solid supply. and it didn't cost them anything.

Looks like I'll have to break up more of the "big stuff" this weekend. My wife went through the two big logs in three days.

Happily, she can start the stove herself I know the ancient chocolate labs appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.