running mt vernon on high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serveprotect

Sep 26, 2012
Now that the weather is hanging in the 20's i found i have to run the stove on high to get the thermostat up to 68-70. Is it ok to run the stove on high for a while?? The thermostat is around a corner and it does take a while to get temp. The great thing is i am not burning oil. House is around 1800 sf new windows insulation farmhouse.

I have the same stove and have burned on high with no problem. The only draw back is it will auto-clean sooner. What I have found with this stove is its a balancing act between heat output and how often it auto-cleans, I try to keep the heat output low enough so it holds the temp. I want in order to get the longest run between auto cleans. Of course the heat output depends a lot on what pellets you are burning.

If your stove is in automatic mode it will modulate the flame size to satisfy the requirements. In that mode you can specify the largest flame size that the controller can use. When I was using a pellet brand with poor heat output I ran the flame set at +5. I am now using a pellet that burns hotter and I have changed the flame set to +3. As the season progresses I will increase the flame set if I need to.
I experimented with manual mode and various flame sizes, but I did not see an advantage to that mode of operation.
I have not noticed any degradation or performance problems as a result of running a high flame setting.
I have to ask what pellets are you burning and why are you afraid to use the stove's capability?

Im burning curran north americans. Heat output seems good but they are ashy. I have a ton of green teams in sitting on. I was wondering if high mode would cause more wear and tear on it. Its brand new and am being cautious. U guys with the mt. V, how do u clean after a ton of fuel?

I don't do anything special after a ton of pellets.
Each cleaning includes using a vac with a skinny tube to clean the ports at the rear bottom behind the heat baffle, using a bristle brush and vac to clean the pins on the heat exchanger and a thorough vacuuming of the firing chamber and ash pan. I have recently started to use a powered wire brush (wheel) to clean the scale off the fire pot and a stiff wire to clear the holes in the fire pot.
End of the heating season I will do a thorough tear down and scrub of the stove, air movers and vent.

Now that the weather is hanging in the 20's i found i have to run the stove on high to get the thermostat up to 68-70. Is it ok to run the stove on high for a while?? The thermostat is around a corner and it does take a while to get temp. The great thing is i am not burning oil. House is around 1800 sf new windows insulation farmhouse.

I think you need a ceiling fan or two. I, "fire and forget" by Mt Vernon. We are in n/e Ohio and outside temps are 30 at night and 40/50 in the day. So far I think I have burned 10-12 bags this season and it has been on automatic mode for a month with a temp set at 70 to 73 degrees. Total sq ft of 2,500 and we run a wood stove most of the time at the other end of the house. Our insulation is not great but as best as it can be.

Eric

I always get a kick when people worry about running their stoves on a setting that is available to them. AS LONG AS YOU SET THE FEED RATE CORRECTLY, you should be able to run it on high all winter long. If not, then someone didn't design the stove correctly. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :p

Yes there is a brand or three out there that tell you not to run the unit on high. Buyer beware and read the owners manual.

Eric

Turn your fuel setting to sunflower and see how it does.It will probably use more pellets,but it should pour out the heat pretty good.

Im burning curran north americans. Heat output seems good but they are ashy. I have a ton of green teams in sitting on. I was wondering if high mode would cause more wear and tear on it. Its brand new and am being cautious. U guys with the mt. V, how do u clean after a ton of fuel?
Nothing special just the normal weekly cleaning. Although you might want to also clean the hopper after a ton to get any sawdust out. If you do this you might need to toss a hand full of pellets in the firepot when it goes to relight.

Turn your fuel setting to sunflower and see how it does.It will probably use more pellets,but it should pour out the heat pretty good.

I have done this and found in my case I burned a lot more pellets and yes the heat output was much higher but the trade off was not worth it for me. I do run mine on manual as I like to burn it on medium or medium high all the time because when I burn on low or low medium the glass gets real dirty and I do not get as complete of a burn even with adjusting the flame height (which as you all know for the Mt. Vernon is the feed rate adjustment).

Maybe OMV has a thing or two to add to this?

As far as cleaning the hopper just shop vac it out and down around the auger? Is there a way to run pellets out of it instead of vacuuming them? I think manual says clean the drop tube also... is that just consist of vacumming out from above firepot maybe hit with a bottle brush?

When I clean the hopper (maybe once or twice a year) I take all the pellets out and yes clean it down to the auger the only reason I do this is so I do not get an auger jam while I am sleeping at night which in my case is typically when things go wrong with the stove. To clean the drop tube I just take the skinny tube used for cleaning the back ports and stick it up there from the firepot.

OMV any chance of shipping some of those Set's up to Maine to Mr. Bear and I? Would love to try them as we can not get them up this way. We might be able to find some Maine lobster in exchange?

Hi Serveprotect,
For that extra heat output when required just switch to Sunflower mode as stated above, but make sure you turn the flame ht down to -5 !!
Check out the link below from Feb this year -
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/sunflower-seed-mode.83042/

What a difference you will feel in house temps. I've been using this setting for over a year now with no issues. You can even burn cheap pellets in the middle of winter with a good heat output.
Jon

Yes there is a brand or three out there that tell you not to run the unit on high. Buyer beware and read the owners manual.

Eric

I understand pellet X burns hotter than pellet Y and running it on high accelerates the lifespan of the mechanics but there are actually manufacturers that specify not to run their stoves on high? As in straight up don't do it? Seems very silly. Hope it's not a safety thing.

Reminds me of the movie Spaceballs- Ludicrous speed, do not use!

Seriously, can someone fill me in here?

Yep, it is a setting used to burn off various deposits formed when running the stove on ludicrous low settings and it can cause the high limit safety to turn off power to the auger.

For example a number of manufacturers even recommend running the stove on that setting for that purpose St. Croix is one, Breckwell recommends only using it for short periods of time.

It can likely safely be used for long periods if the fuel quality is low as in say standard grade pellets but starts being dicey with the denser, drier, and less ash pellets.

Sometimes it is only an issue with a dirty stove.

This also includes any stove that has a fuel adjustment that isn't set by the book.

Put your stove on auto setting with the properly set flame height and set the temp about 2 degrees above what you actually want and let it run. It will automatically adjust output to meet your needs. Ran mine like that since I have it and it has been great.

unlucky for you i dont eat lobster
unlucky for you my buddy owns newport lobster in RI
unlucky for you i hate road trips
unlucky for you i love somersets

man your s**t out of luck! LOL

BUT if you want to come down ill hook ya up :p
Story of life.....unlucky at love and not unlucky at Pellets.................

Tsmith,

For me, the auto mode does not work very well. The thermosrat will be 5 degrees below set temp and still be on med and not enough heat to even come close to set temp.

Tsmith,

For me, the auto mode does not work very well. The thermosrat will be 5 degrees below set temp and still be on med and not enough heat to even come close to set temp.

Set it in Auto - Sunflower mode with -5 flame ht. This should make up the 5 degrees below, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.