Running on High

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBennett

Nov 27, 2010
Central CT
Hey peeps. had a question about running my Big E room air fan on high.
I am using the stove to heat my house form the basement and i am able to keep the house real comfy on heat level 2 and 3 but i am wondering if i can use the high fan setting all the time and if that has any long term effects on equipment?
On a nother note has anyone come up with a way to change the high low setting, meaning i would love to be able to go back and forth between 2 and 3 on high low instead of 1/3? anyways just an afterthought,
thanks guys

Running the room air fan on high will not hurt anything at all.

These fans are designed to run at a given top speed and will happily spin along there for months on end without a hitch.

Where I get nervous is when a stove is run at the full fuel setting for long periods of time.

I run my stoves on the 1 or 2 settings, mostly the 1 with the room air fan near the top of the speed range.

This moves tha maximum amount of air through the heat exchangers.

Snowy

thanks snowy i had the same feeling about the fans just making sure ;)

gixxer998 said:
My 25-PDVC manual says to keep the stove and blower settings the same. Can I vary them? Say 2-5 or 3-6?

Thanks

Does it really say that or are you just reading that into what is being said?

This is directly from the manual:

Recommended Heat Ranges:

Low Burn: Heat Range setting: 1 Room Air Blower setting: 1
Medium Low: Heat Range setting: 2 – 3 Room Air Blower setting: *
Medium High: Heat Range setting: 5 – 8 Room Air Blower setting: *
High Burn: Heat Range setting: 9 Room Air Blower setting: 9

* NOTE: Blower Speed should match the Heat Range setting.

I usually keep the blower setting 1 higher than the heat setting. The only reason is, as stated above, is to move more air.

I think snowy said it best! ;-)

gixxer998 said:
This is directly from the manual:

Recommended Heat Ranges:

Low Burn: Heat Range setting: 1 Room Air Blower setting: 1
Medium Low: Heat Range setting: 2 – 3 Room Air Blower setting: *
Medium High: Heat Range setting: 5 – 8 Room Air Blower setting: *
High Burn: Heat Range setting: 9 Room Air Blower setting: 9

* NOTE: Blower Speed should match the Heat Range setting.

I usually keep the blower setting 1 higher than the heat setting. The only reason is, as stated above, is to move more air.

I think if you were to ask England Stove Works about the matter they would say that the room blower setting must equal or exceed the heat range setting. Which would be a match for the heat range setting.

Operating the stove otherwise would likely lead to over temperature shut down.

My stove manual (same stove as Smokey has) recommends leaving the fan set to auto so the level corresponds with the heat setting. I run my fan on high most of the time unless it gets too hot in the house.

They suggest that you let the convection fan float with the heat range for optimal efficiency and minimal fan noise.

I hate to break it to them but I can do better with the fan on high and the noise isn't that bad.

I'd gladly let it float if the fan was larger in the CFM department. 160 CFM is too small to allow it to float with the heat range, put a bag of Cubex in the hopper, let the fan float, then turn the heat range to 3 and start a timer. The stove will go over temperature while on high fan it won't. I'm seriously thinking about placing an order for a different convection fan. I'll discuss it with the folks at INCA Metal Cutting first.

SmokeyTheBear said:
They suggest that you let the convection fan float with the heat range for optimal efficiency and minimal fan noise.

I hate to break it to them but I can do better with the fan on high and the noise isn't that bad.

I'd gladly let it float if the fan was larger in the CFM department. 160 CFM is too small to allow it to float with the heat range, put a bag of Cubex in the hopper, let the fan float, then turn the heat range to 3 and start a timer. The stove will go over temperature while on high fan it won't. I'm seriously thinking about placing an order for a different convection fan. I'll discuss it with the folks at INCA Metal Cutting first.

I could not agree any more. Let me know where your research takes you.

gixxer998 said:

I always keep the blower speed at least 2 settings higher than the heat. Right now the stove is running on 5-8. Pull as much heat out of the stove as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.