Running pellet exhaust pipe thru wall into garage and up thru roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

odlaw

Aug 14, 2009
Central NY
I want to run my pellet stove exhaust pipe thru my living room wall into an attached garage which is open to the roof rafters and then up and out the roof. Any thoughts?

I'm not an expert, but I assume that if you use an appropriate wall thimble, and appropriate roof collar, and clearances are all good you should be fine. Only thing I can think some inspector might not like is the exposed pipe in the garage...but you see people have that in the house behind the stoves anyways so I don't know what the difference would be. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, I'm used to it. (being wrong, and being corrected).

I would think it would be Okay as long as you maintain the 1 hour fire rating between the garage and house. Check with local inspector. He may require the pipe be encased in a shaft covered with 5/8" drywall.
Ron

That is how i did my set up and the oak comes in from the garage as well.
Fire marshal was fine with it.

Thanks for the responses. I think a piece of firerock (5/8 sheetrock) behind the verticle pipe on the garage wall with the pipe spaced 12in from wall would be more than safe. I like the idea of bringing in the fresh air from the garage also as the garage is not even close to being air tight. Now I just have to dismantle that old upright piano that is in the spot where I want to put the new stove.

There should already be 5/8 wallboard on the wall between the house and garage that's been code for 60 years at least.
Ron

Any vehicles or combustibles in the garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.