Running the stove in the fall and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It wouldn't affect cleaning that much. We have an offset like this on our stove. I had to put it in when I switched from the Castine to the T6. The sooteater easily goes right through it without issue.
For that setup in the pic do you have to unscrew it to get into it? Does that affect the cement or whatever they use to seal the pipe? Is it still possible to go at it from the top using the tool you mentioned if I were able to get at it?

Nobody has asked if your chimney is smoking? Does your exhaust stay clear when it's turned down? With the right wood, stove, and habits, some stoves will run clean at the lowest air setting. Most of the species they listed can be dried in under a year.
The cat seems to burn well around 225 and up. It isn’t smoking most of the day but usually in the morning I come down to coals and it is smoking then but that’s probably the only time.

And yes this year oak is not among the wood in burning. I am finding birch dries amazingly fast and gives off excellent heat as far as I can tell. I’m already working on two downed oaks on my property that will be next years fuel...hopefully.

For that setup in the pic do you have to unscrew it to get into it? Does that affect the cement or whatever they use to seal the pipe? Is it still possible to go at it from the top using the tool you mentioned if I were able to get at it?
No, everything stays attached and in place. I just drop the baffle and clean with a sooteater up through the flue outlet. There is no cement in the stovepipe. This makes the flue cleaning a simple 30 minute job from start to finish.

Another option is to replace your current single wall stovepipe with telescoping single or double wall. Slide the lower section up off the stove collar and clean from the bottom up with a sooteater from the comfort of indoors. Its what I do at home and it sure beats getting up on a slippery roof. In the cold! This setup will allow you to clean/check your system easily whenever you want to.

I use this pipe from Menards. They simply ship it to your door. No need to even go to there store. It is double wall that keeps your exhaust temps up nicely also.

Reactions: Farenheit 451
Another option is to replace your current single wall stovepipe with telescoping single or double wall. Slide the lower section up off the stove collar and clean from the bottom up with a sooteater from the comfort of indoors. Its what I do at home and it sure beats getting up on a slippery roof. In the cold!
I thought about that option but was a little concerned about the leverage of a 10+ ft long, unsupported stove pipe on a possibly thin connection to the support box, especially with a sooteater banging around in it. How do you support the pipe while cleaning? What have you found the best method to collect and contain the dust?

I thought about that option but was a little concerned about the leverage of a 10+ ft long, unsupported stove pipe on a possibly thin connection to the support box, especially with a sooteater banging around in it. How do you support the pipe while cleaning? What have you found the best method to collect and contain the dust?

Amen moresnow. I take telescoping piece out and place it on tailgate of truck on towels to not scratch it. Then I just hold it with one hand on one end and I clamp other end down and got to town on it with flue brush....dont have soot water. On the chimney I take trash bag and poke a hole in about mid section of it....place flue brush rod in hole of that bag and spin brush on. Then duct tape bag to adapter. Go to town on chimney and it does good job of catching everything.

I had that exact concern. For a short time. The Sooteater enters the pipe at a very gentle angle. There is no banging around of significance (in my experience). I collect the dust/residue with a trash bag that Ive punched a hole in. The hole must be several inches above the bottom of the bag. I do cover the stove and blower/blowers entirely with a large sheet to collect any escapee residue. The sheet needs to be placed as soon as the pipe comes off the collar as there will be residue as you lift the pipe far enough to easily insert the Sooteater.
Amen moresnow. I take telescoping piece out and place it on tailgate of truck on towels to not scratch it. Then I just hold it with one hand on one end and I clamp other end down and got to town on it with flue brush....dont have soot water. On the chimney I take trash bag and poke a hole in about mid section of it....place flue brush rod in hole of that bag and spin brush on. Then duct tape bag to adapter. Go to town on chimney and it does good job of catching everything.
Sounds like we are on the same page. I think it encourages more routine cleaning as well. Never a bad idea. And a great idea for many from what I've seen_g

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I am projecting concern here because we have the older style DuraVent stove pipe connector. It's too lightweight and flimsy for me to trust much. One of these days I will update it to the stronger replacement. If the stovepipe is well secured with 3 screws to the support then this doesn't seem to be an issue, assuming there is a telescoping piece in the stovepipe for easy removal.