Russo Cool/Wood CW1 Refurbish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtuna

Dec 2, 2008
Marshfield, MA
Hi, New to the site but it is great. I'm in to process of refurbishing and installing a 1980 Russo CW1 Stove in my garage workshop (car will not be stored in garage!!!). The stove is in great shape and has little use. A few small surface rust spots here and there. I want to replace the gaskets and repaint it before it is installed and I have a few quick questions:

1. Should I sand and paint it or sand and polish it?
2. If paint, is satin the most popular?
3. Should I use a wire brush or 220 sand paper/steel wool on the rust?
4. What size gaskets should I use around the door and tray ~ 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" etc
5. The Grate on the bottom is it great condition, however, if I were to burn wood I think I need to place firebrick over the grate. Is that correct? The stove does not have the firebrick, is this a standard size and would I have trouble finding replacement bricks?
6. The only other thing missing from the stove is the handle on the left side to turn the coal, Is that standard and can I replace that too?
7. I'm located south of Boston Marshfield/Plymouth/Duxbury/Pembroke and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with installers that they could recommend in this area.

Thanks!

I also just got a Russo CW1 and am looking forword to using it. I was lucky to also get the original owners manual, would you like a copy of it?

I also have a copy If need be. I used sandpaper and steel wool. The gaskets (can't remember)
I got the best results using firebricks with spaces between them over the grate.
It's a much better "coal burner" compared to a "woodburner" .....since your using it in your shop, it should be fine for you.
One other note.....did the stove come with the heavy steel baffle (easily removable) that slides up in the back?

WB

Sorry for the delay,
I would LOVE a copy of the manual. Thanks!!!! Can you send electronically?
I used steel wool (only 2 small spots with light rust). I polished it up with stove polish and it looks brand new. Can you tell me where can you get the fire bricks? Should I go to a specialty store or do the Big Box guys carry them? I'll have to check next time I am there. As for the steel baffle, YES, it did come with my stove. Everything is all set on the stove, and I brought the walls out 1" on cement board, using ceramic spacers then tiled the cement board as well as raised the stove up 18" from the shop floor using cinder blocks, covered by cement board then tile (looks too good to be in a shop). Code is that it has to up 18" off the cement floor b/c it is in a garage/shop. I won't have a car in there but it's the code. Now all I have to do is have the stack installed. I'm going with a pro as I don't want any issues with it and I want it done right.

Gaskets are flat in the door.
use 1/4" by 5/8" or something like that.....

As to firebricks, there are two types.
Some are regular "split" firebricks which are available at many masonry supply yards...
But it also uses some custom bricks...which were cast by Russo....well, somewhat depending on the exact year....

If you are going to burn wood, you probably don't have to worry about fixing the custom bricks as long as decent sized parts of them remain.

If you are going to use coal 24/7, then you will want to replace or repair them. There are lots of options there, including some patching....or trying to find the originals at various parts outlets.
This place:
http://fireplaceseast.com/

may have the bricks or a lead for you....the custom bricks, that is...

bigtuna,
Send me a private message and I'll email it to you.
I also have good pics of what the inside of my Russo stove looked like. (molded fire brick and baffle for reference)

WoodButcher

Big Tuna, There are two different sizes of fire brick used in your insert. The first size is standard, it is 9" X 1-1/4" X 4-1/2" it uses nine pieces. I bought them from Ace hardware (a local hardware in the Maryland area). They are made by Rutland and sold in six packs for about $20.00 for all six. The other size is 9" X 1-1/4" X 3-3/8". It uses two of them. I could not find them listed so I used a wet saw for cutting tile to rip the two from full size ones. There are (5) full size brick installed across the rear of the unit into brackets. There are (2) removable firebrick holders that hold the brick on each side of the insert. The (2) full size and (1) smaller one on each side. I hope that you have the holders. I can send pictures if you need them. It sounds lke the other Russo owner is sending the owners manual to you. Good Luck

Hi Mac. Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused on my stove. It has fire bricks around the inside but the bottom is a steal grate. Should firebricks go over the grate when burning wood? I'm away this week with work but will post a picture when i get back next week, thanks again!

Not according to the owners manual. When I got mine the seller said it was complete and there were not any bricks on the bottom.
they would probably interfere with the ashes dropping into the ash pan

Status
Not open for further replies.